Bigwheel's Lonesome Yankee Brats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Well Witt found the recipe(s) and suggested I post em. So here goes. Yankee's seem to love em. A little bland for me. Both these recipes is purty close to similar I think.

bigwheel

Bigwheel's Lonesome Yankee Bratwurst (2000)

5-7 lb pork butt
1 cup water
2 T. salt
1 T. sugar
1 t. coriander
1 t. sage
1 t. paprika
1 t. teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 t. rosemary
1 t. MSG
1 T. dry mustard
1 T. black pepper (fine grind)
1 big pinch ground nutmeg
1 small pinch ground cloves
hog guts

Mix all spices into the liquid and place in the freezer while you debone the butt and cut the meat to fit the grinder. Pour spiced liquid over the cut meat and mix well. Run through med or fine plate and mix well again. Stuff into the guts and twist into links about 5" long.

Lonesome Yankee Bratwurst (2003)

10 lbs. boston butt
3 T. salt
1 T. sugar
2 T. dry mustard
1 T. MSG (optional or use less if you want..if you skip it add another T. of salt)
1 T. ground coriander
1 T. ground sage
1 T. paprika
1 T. black pepper
1 T. ground rosemary
2 t. cayenne pepper
2 t. nutmeg
2 cups water or beer or a combo of the two*

Add all spices to liquid. blend and refrigerate. Cut meat to fit grinder. Add spiced liquid to meat and mix well. Grind through fine plate. mix well again. Stuff into medium hog guts. Twist into 5 inch links or therabouts. Refrigerate immediately and freeze any not used within a couple of days.*Beer seems to intensify the flavor of the spices. So if you like a little more pronounced spice flavor use beer.(Budwieser works well). If you like a little blander use water. To split the difference use a cup of each.

Well glad you enjoyed em. Now when you want to know the ultimate way to cook em..just holler back at uncle bigwheel. I was taught how to do it by a januine yankee down at the local watering hole. I bet you got to be still a bit tuckered out after that 80 lbs of sausage..whew..that is hauling a load. Yall mix all that stuff by hand or you got a meat mixer of some sort?
If you dont mind a person being nosey of course:)

bigwheel

BW the way I typicall cook brauts is to toss em on the pit with some smoke for about 2 hrs and then give'em a bath in beer,onions and a handfull of whole mustard seeds...then I either eat like that or pop em on the grill to char em up a little...What's your way.
As to your other question we mix the meat by hand....I don't like to season it and then run it thru the grinder...I know it's a little more work....but thats the way we do it...

Well the way the yankee taught me to handle brats is like this. You start out with a big pot of water and/or beer to which has been added copious amounts of slice onyawns..garlic..hotsauce etc. Then you "simmer" dont boil the brats in the liquid till they plump up nice and fat 45 mins or so...then you take them out of the liquid and set them aside. You crank up the heat on the pot and get rid of the lid and reduce the volume till the onyawns start to carmelize. Means you got a little liquid left in the pot but not much. At that point you add a Tablespoon or two of regular old Frenchies yeller mustard and turn the heat real low and stir it often. The mustard causes the liquid to thichken up a bit and you come out with a real tasty mustard sauce. You then grill the plumped brats over a charcoal fire and serve em on a bun with the mustard sauce on top. Yum yum.

bigwheel

Well depends on whut part of yankville a person is from I guess. This is supposed to be the Joisey Redneck method I think.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom