xmass ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the past I have hung my ham and by putting a net around it, the net helps to hold the meat together as it cooks..so you get that nice shape.

wittdog said:
In the past I have hung my ham and by putting a net around it, the net helps to hold the meat together as it cooks..so you get that nice shape.
Thanks ;)

wittdog said:

Just like when a shapely girl has on fishnets, they hold their shape also!
Nice start Dave.

Think I've heard of this phenomenon. When they take em off it sorta like opening a can of biscuits maybe?

bigwheel

Looks good Witt. Making me mighty hongry on this end. Now whut is up with the pic showing the big nekked bone sticking out? Do you cut off part of the bottom shank meat and use the bone for a handle or something? Thanks.

bigwheel

wittdog said:
The ham is out of the brine, in a stockinet and in the smoker……it will be in the smoker for around12hrs_16hrs at 120*, then it will smoke for 8 hrs (4 pans of wood hickory and maybe some maple) and then I will finish it off without smoke..This is an 18lb ham I figure it will take about 36hrs all together. I will update this as often as I can but I also have some sausage to make just picked up another case of pork butts….I had to change plans I was going to hang the ham but its too big…as it cooks and shrinks I may try to hang it but for now it will go on the grate….

In the bag

In the smokehouse

Notice the color of the ham...and then see what it looks like during the smoking process...

Here is the ham after being in for about 16hrs at 120*…it will now smoke for the next 8hrs…

I'll keep the pics coming anytime I need to open the smokehouse I'll snap a pic.

Man Dog, that is one happy looking hunk of pork butt. Y

ou know, its cold enough that you could package some of that up and send it down south to VA.

I don’t know if you guys can see it but we are starting to get a real nice color on the ham…I may do one more pan of wood chips….

Dave,
Out of curiosity, what is the stocking net for? Is that the same type of net they use to hang them in the smoke houses with??

Looks fantastic so far!

Larry Wolfe said:
Dave,
Out of curiosity, what is the stocking net for? Is that the same type of net they use to hang them in the smoke houses with??

Looks fantastic so far!
Page 3 ;)

Larry Wolfe said:
Dave,

Looks fantastic so far!
Yep its the same kind of net...in the past I have hung my hams but this one was a tad to big for the smokehouse....I should have cut a few more inches off the bottom of it to make it fit....

27hrs later…the color is looking nice and it’s starting to smell real good…..still have a long ways to go…and I think my Maverick flip the leads…the Food Probe is reading the Smoker temp an the Smoker temp is reading the food temp..

Internal temp of the ham is 146* needs to come up another 10*...31hrs in the smokehouse...I'm still guessing midnight to tonight is when it will be done.....

Well, he guessed right-- it's 11:40 and I just pulled it off the smoker; will leave it out an hour or so to bloom before putting it in the fridge (no, really, I'm SUPPOSED to put it in the fridge.... :roll: )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom