Witch one of these are a better smoker for making sausage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Missing Link

Sous Chef
I'm looking at the Northern Hydralics one and the electric model from Sausagemaker. Sausagemakers is a 1000 watt burner and norhern is only 500 watts. Witt has the Sausagemaker one and hopefully he'll chime in with some info.

I was looking at the samething. and was thinking would it be any better to have the one with the 1000 watts burner are could you get buy with the 500 watts one.

Link...First seeing how you already own a propane one..I would try that first..to see if it will work for the lower temps...but keep in mind that when doing sausage in this method...it takes about 8 hrs to smoke sausage...you might not want to be filling the tank that often..but if you are not using it that often that might not be an issue...however..I found that once I started smoking cured sausage I progressed from sausage to bacon and ham and a lot of other things...the last ham I did took 36hrs..that would be alot of propane....I tend to favor the lectric...
I'm a firm believer in u get what you pay for...I don't know about the northern tools version..but I love my Sausage Maker version which has the better heating element and is also insulated..which isn't a big deal in your neck of the woods..but up north that is huge.....Hope this helps and good luck.

Re: Witch one of these are a better smoker for making sausag

Being a natural born cheapy skate I would surely try to use the metal box you already got as opposed to acquiring a new one. The low flame which would be required to bring it up to smoke cooking temps for sausage (175-180) shouldnt be a huge drain on the propane resources. For longer cold smoking sessions aka Witt's Ham scenario..figger an el cheapo electric hot plate with a pie pan and chunks slid in at the bottom be just whut the doctor ordered. You could also keep your eye peeled for an electric heating element which would be capable of generating the required hot smoking temps without using the propane..this be only if the use of the propane became problematical of course. Just thinking out loud here.

bigwheel

The Missing Link said:
Let me know what you think of these? I would like to get one of the 20lb somker but would like to know if what i have will work.

This the sausagemaker 20Lb Somker.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?
PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=232

This Northerntool Verson of Sausagemaker 20lb somker.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200308625

I Have one just like this one made somke mountain.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=1295

I don't use it as must as i did before i got my chargriller. When i did use it the same 20lb bottle of propane i was able to get 2 cooks from each going in two the 16 hour mark with out running out so i should be allright there i just need to see how low it go's. :?

Thanks,
Missing link.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom