Venison Trail Bologna (Salami Style)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
Since I'm off tomorrow I decided to make some deer trail bologna. I'm using a larger casing but the seasoning is for trail bologna. I forgot to take pictures of the beginning but here are some after the first course grind of the meat. I used 6 pounds of venison and 4 pounds of pork. Of course cure was added to the seasoning.

Getting ready for the second grind.

The Process...the second grind using my smallest plate.

Finished grinding.

Stuffing the casing

I cut the casing in half and used stainless steel safety wire to tie the other end up.

These are heading to the smoker.

I added the hickory and apple after the sausages were in the smoker for an hour.

Please excuse the messy kitchen.

These will probably take about 20 hours or so. Maybe a little less if I steam them at the end. I put them on about 6:10 PM

Looks good...I hope the bottom of those stay closed....the casings could shrink and open up... you can get clips for the bottom or use a butterfly knot.....hope it works out for you can't wait to see the finished pics...

The sausage is at 152 degrees. I'm taking them to 155. The smoker is at 161. Trying to keep it at 165. They almost finished but sometimes a few degrees as well as only one degree can take a very long time.

At a little after 10 AM the sausages made it to 155 degrees. I hosed them down and they are in the basement drying. I'll cut into one tonight and post the results.

Right before I removed them from the smoker.

Hosing them down.

Headed to the basement to dry.

We just came home from eating Mexican food and I'm very full but I still had to cut into the salami and give it a little taste. It taste very good. My five year old daughter likes it also. The color is also good on the salami after removing some of the casing. You don't want to eat the Fibrous casings. Here are the pictures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom