Venison/pork Slim Jims

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
Sunday evening I ground the venison and pork 60/40 ratio. Added the seasoning and reground the mix. I stuffed into mahogany color collagen 19mm casings. The sticks were placed in the smoker about 10:30ish PM and kept at about 75 degrees until 6:00PM the next evening. I raised the temperature gradually to 165 with hickory sawdust. The sticks all finished before 11 PM about 5 hours later.

Everyone at my wife’s work loved them. I feel something is missing but not sure what.

They still are very good.

I used Wittdog's recipe posted here

http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15353

Here are the pictures.

Looks great..was it some heat that was missing?
Taste them in a few days and see if the flavors set some more.

The other thing I find is when using beef the spices need to be kicked up a notch...beef has that strong flavor (venison as well)....heaping measurements instead of level :LOL: ...they look great...did the overnight in the smokehouse give you that twang?

Big dude,

I used the 20 lbs. Sausage Maker electric smoker. I use that smoker for sausage.

wittdog,

I'm not sure of the twang...the fermento is about a year old. Overall I do like the recipe. I'll do it again sometime.

Do look mighty laurapin. Looks like you got plenty of salt. In fact way more than I would use. I go 1 1/2 teaspoons per pound max. I am a firm believer in adding liquid to the meat ration prior to grinding/stuffing. For 10 lbs of meat you would catch me mixing all the spices with a can of beer (Budweiser regular works real well or if you a rich boy use Shiner Bock) and prob about half a beer can full of ice water before adding them to the meat. I put the spiced liquid in the freezer before I start cutting the meat to fit the grinder..give it a last miniute vigorous stir and add it after the meat as been cut. Mix it into the meat chunks well then go ahead and grind as usual. Mix once again after it comes outta the grinder mixing it till you cant mix no mo and keep mixing. Joe Ames always say to mix it till it gets "fluffy or bouncy." I think you will find the beer intensifies the flavors by a great deal. As to why it do that is a point of some debate but personally believe it involves the yeast in the beer. As Smokey Hale's spice lady guru say the biggest flavor enhancer which is normally used in commercial applications but missed by the home cook is yeast...and as far as I know beer has some yeast in it. At any rate it really brightens up the flavor of the final product and intensifies the flavor of the spices. I am also a firm believer in MSG. I would use at least a Tablespoonful for the amount of meat you got. P*ss on them sissies who think it gives them a headache or menstrual cramps or whutever. If you decide to use the MSG you could leave out about the same amount of salt as called for in Witt's recipe. If you go the 1 1/2 t. per pound route just add it. Now for the doubting Thomase's on the beer thang..suffice it to say I have run scientifical tests on the topic. So no way to be wrong on that one:) This be to try next time of course. In the meantime bon apetit. Merry Christmas to all.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom