Summer Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damar12

Senior Cook
Spicy Summer Sausage

3 lbs ground beef
1 cup cold water
2 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick salt
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon garlic juice
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon cajun-louisiana seasoning blend (your favorite)
1 teaspoon black pepper

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients & mix well. Cover and refrigerate 72 hours, mixing each day a time or two. Wrap in rolls similar to a sausage log on day 3. Return to refrigerator and allow to firm up.
Unwrap rolls, place on smoking rack. Smoker temperature at 180 degrees. Also go to internal temperature of 156 degrees. Cool & wrap in tin foil, refrigerate or freeze.

Note: Keep meat and water cold. You do not want fat to smear (it did but with no adverse effects, at least it seemed greasy to me). Can use garlic powder or minced garlic. I also used Tony C. for cajun seasoning. I also used mustard powder instead of seeds. I used ground chuck, 80/20 blend.

Looks good. Got it copied. Wonder what the 72 hour sojourn in the ice box supposed to do for it? Thanks.

bigwheel

I figured it gave the spices time to meld in the meat mixture and adding more flavor. All I really know is that it worked out great.

Yes, it freezes well. I put 2 logs in the freezer and kept them for over a month and took em to La. I sliced it for my father-in-law and it was as good as next day off the smoker. It was a big hit at the in-laws.

Recipe looks good, but I have one question.

When using commercially ground meat, aren't you suppose to take the internal temp up to 160-165 to kill any possible nasties? Or does the temp rise on it's own while resting.

I didn't know if it would due to the lower smoking temps. Thanks!

If you are using commericaly ground meat..you probably should take the temp up to 165*........but at those lower temps it would take forever to do so...I guess you need to buy a grinder Bruce

Damar12 said:
Not to be a smarty pants kind of guy, but it ain't killed me yet. :roll:
yeah but we are going on the assumption that you are young and somewhat fit...Bruce is old...and :P BTW I don't take the commerical stuff up to 165* and it hasnt' killed me yet ;)

Back
Top Bottom