Sopressata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
My father called last week and said he wanted to make some Sopressata this weekend. We went to Resturant Depot yesterday, picked up a case of butts. We got home, cut and ground 1/2 of the case, about 25lbs. This morning was time for stuffing.

This is my father loading some casings on tube.
img_209657_0_582de8b6d8427bdd280047c59d3c5ffc.jpg

Here they are hanging to dry. They should be ready in about 6 weeks.
img_209657_1_e5160ad45efe85ef9f9de83ce0cc816d.jpg

img_209657_2_c377d8b42ed1429919a466d3c8ae4e69.jpg

I listen to stories from you guys who have lost your parents and it makes me enjoy every time I can be with him. This is one of the best times me and my father still do together. Next week we're making fresh sausage.
Sorry about the image quality, the pics were taken with an IPhone

Nick those look great ... Don't be workin' your father so hard, you can help :LOL: Seriously, you are right about spending time, I lost my Dad 5 years ago and there are not may days go by that I don't wish he could be supervising me in a project.

Good looking sausage Nick. Glad to hear the way you feel about your Dad and its great for you two to share some quality time. Seems like sometimes we tend to take elderly parents and grandparents for granted. Think they are going to live forever etc. Then poof one day they are gone. Would be nice to not have a bunch of regrets on that deal.

bigwheel

Nick,
My dads been gne almost three years... I wish I could make sausage with him now..

Anyway, how about a recipe/procedure for the sopressata. My partners fil makes it and I heard it involves soaking in olive oil ??

Yep recipe and technique please. Now is that stuffer mounted on the table it sitting on? If not how do you keep it from hopping around when you start cranking or screwing or whut other torquey movements which might need to be applied to it in order to make it worky? Thanks.

bigwheel

john pen said:
Nick,
My dads been gne almost three years... I wish I could make sausage with him now..

Anyway, how about a recipe/procedure for the sopressata. My partners fil makes it and I heard it involves soaking in olive oil ??

I've heard about the olive oil deal but I've never done it.

bigwheel said:
Yep recipe and technique please. Now is that stuffer mounted on the table it sitting on? If not how do you keep it from hopping around when you start cranking or screwing or whut other torquey movements which might need to be applied to it in order to make it worky? Thanks.

bigwheel

The stuffer wasn't mounted to the table, I just held my hand on the top while I cranked. It goes real smooth. When I do it at my house I usually clamp it to the countertop as I'm usually stuffing the sausage alone.

Recipe & technique are right here.
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=11875

Every time I go fishing, I like to think the old boy is with me. Been about 12 years now.
Nothin better than sopressata and a glass of red wine.

Ok gotcha thanks. Thats sorta why I have stuck with old fashioned lever action 3 pound stuffer. All the torque goes downward so it aint too bad about moving around not anchored. Allows a right arm on the lever and a left one to fiddle with the links as they come out. The Warden dont like to touch hawg guts :oops:

bigwheel

Xcellent post Nick. Lost both my parents 34 years ago. Think about them every day.
Happy for ya!

Back
Top Bottom