Sausage weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Since Mother Nature decided to dump on us again with some lovely snow I decided it's sausage weather.
I'm making 20 lbs. using spices I got from the Sausage Maker. Roasted Garlic and Sante Fe. (Thanks Nick :wink ;) )
I'm going to smoke them in the smokehouse. I cut back on the soy protein a bit this time (Thanks Dave ;) ) I wanted to avoid what happened with the smoked venison sausage I made. I'm using cherry and black cherry Smokin' Dust (Smokilicious) My fingers are crossed.

Flavor was there,texture was there. But I think either my therm is way off or I'm smoking at to high of a temp. Some of the sausage came out perfect and others seem to render and cook. Not enough soy?? To hot??
I don't have a clue. I think I'll stick to smaller batches till I get the hang of the smoker. Anyone else have these problems before when first starting out?

I'm sure Dave will find the problem for me.
I did go back and reread parts of the Kutas book. From what I read it seems I was at to high of a temp and I think I might not have let the casings dry long enough in the smoker before raising the temps.
Something else I learned was the amount of time for blooming. I didn't know you could do this for 2 or 3 hrs. before refrigerating. I only let them bloom for about 45 min. It was late.

Puff from what I can see it looks like the casings didn’t dry…you need to give them time to dry otherwise they wont’ take on color, or if you are smoking at to high of a temp the color wont’ be right…..Or if they are touching the color will be off…..When its cold outside you need to let the casings dry longer than the hour recommended….the cold air causes condensation inside the smokehouse.
The recommended smoking temps are 120* till dry. Then a gradual increase to 145* and then smoke them for 2-4 hours (I use two pans packed well). And then a gradual increase to 165* till they reach the desired internal temp. It typically takes me between 8-12 hrs for a batch of sausage.
As for the temp….does you smokehouse have a smoke diffuser? If so do you have it squished down like I have mine….if you don’t’ have one or its still up you get hot spots from radiant heat….Also the smokehouse doesn’t heat evenly….you have a huge hot spot right over the heating element….what I do is make sure I have short links to hang over that spot….you can also spin the sausage on the dowels…about half way thru the process that will get them to cook more even…..my advice is if that smoker came with racks…make up a batch of beef jerky and lay it out on the racks…the ones that get done quick are where your hot spots are…its just like a pit. Know where they are and how to deal with them. Also check to make sure you element is heating evenly…I was having issue with my smokehouse and the element was bad…only half of it was getting hot and it was getting real hot….

Puff said:
Flavor was there, texture was there. But I think either my therm is way off or I'm smoking at to high of a temp. Some of the sausage came out perfect and others seem to render and cook. Not enough soy?? To hot??
I don't have a clue. I think I'll stick to smaller batches till I get the hang of the smoker. Anyone else have these problems before when first starting out?

This sounds dumb but make sure your smoker therm isn’t touching any sausage (I’ve had that happen a time or two)…
You really need to watch the temp…a short spike will cause the fat to render…
Keep at it as long as the flavor and texture were right on..the smoking will fall into place.

Hope this helps…
Oh yea....about a tablespoon of Paprika per 10lbs will help the color some as well...

I have let sausage bloom all night. Sometimes it is 10 or 11 PM or later when it is finished so I just let it hang after cooling it down until morning.

wittdog said:
Puff from what I can see it looks like the casings didn’t dry…you need to give them time to dry otherwise they wont’ take on color, or if you are smoking at to high of a temp the color wont’ be right…..Or if they are touching the color will be off…..When its cold outside you need to let the casings dry longer than the hour recommended….the cold air causes condensation inside the smokehouse.
The recommended smoking temps are 120* till dry. Then a gradual increase to 145* and then smoke them for 2-4 hours (I use two pans packed well). And then a gradual increase to 165* till they reach the desired internal temp. It typically takes me between 8-12 hrs for a batch of sausage.
As for the temp….does you smokehouse have a smoke diffuser? If so do you have it squished down like I have mine….if you don’t’ have one or its still up you get hot spots from radiant heat….Also the smokehouse doesn’t heat evenly….you have a huge hot spot right over the heating element….what I do is make sure I have short links to hang over that spot….you can also spin the sausage on the dowels…about half way thru the process that will get them to cook more even…..my advice is if that smoker came with racks…make up a batch of beef jerky and lay it out on the racks…the ones that get done quick are where your hot spots are…its just like a pit. Know where they are and how to deal with them. Also check to make sure you element is heating evenly…I was having issue with my smokehouse and the element was bad…only half of it was getting hot and it was getting real hot….

Puff said:
Flavor was there, texture was there. But I think either my therm is way off or I'm smoking at to high of a temp. Some of the sausage came out perfect and others seem to render and cook. Not enough soy?? To hot??

This sounds dumb but make sure your smoker therm isn’t touching any sausage (I’ve had that happen a time or two)…
You really need to watch the temp…a short spike will cause the fat to render…
Keep at it as long as the flavor and texture were right on..the smoking will fall into place.

Hope this helps…
Oh yea....about a tablespoon of Paprika per 10lbs will help the color some as well...
Thanks Dave!
There is no smoke diffuser in my smokehouse I saw it in the book though. I'm going to order one. I'll check the element to see if it's burnig right. As for the therm yes I believe it was touching the sausage at one time. I think that's where all the trouble began. I had a big spike in temp after I readjusted it. I'll have to use more sawdust too. I was only using 1 pan not packed tight.
Thanks for all the great info! It'll be very helpful the next time I make sausage.

Puff...I spray the dust with a spray bottle...then pack it tight in the pan..and leave a hole in the middle..also I dont' mess with the damper I just leave it wide open...the whole time.
Keep at it you'll get it.

Next time I try I'll leave the damper open too. It would let out alot more moisture right?

Back
Top Bottom