Sausage time at Puff's house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Work slowed down a bit and I can't be more happy!
Taking advantage of the slow time and making sausage.
Picked up a few new toys, a 5 lb. bucket stuffer and a little smokehouse.
I made some fresh Polish using Witt's Grandpa's recipe, and some smoked venison Polish out the Kutas book. By the way thanks for turning me on to this book WD. I have learned tons from it!
This is the first time I've ever smoked sausage at this low of temps.
I'm using hickory sawdust and the sausage has been in the smokehouse for about 4 hrs at 145*. Just about time to crank up the heat a little.

I need a bigger grinder.

Pork on the right and venison with pork added on the left.

Man that stuffer is awesome!

Fresh Polish

Into the smokehouse.

Looking good Puff...I like cherry with the Polish...I'm glad the book helped out...now send that horn stuffer to BTGG becuase I know with that bucket stuffer...you don't need that horn stuffer anymore.

I was about to say that I wanted to emulate your sausage stuffing efforts, but the twisted minds that dwell on this board would soon accuse us both of deviant behavior. So I'll just say "Good job Puff and I'm waiting for the finished pics." :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Good idea Griff ;)

Dave I thought cherry would be better but the supplier only sold it in 50 lb. bags. :shock: Man that bucket stuffer is a breeze and the little smokehouse(Once I messed with it for a bit.) really holds temps good. Cold as hell outside.
Bill the horn will be passed on to you iffin' you want it.

Took a little peek. Looks like some pretty good color and the smell is great. Internal temp is at 147*.

Big grinders rule. You can't get the meat in fast enough to keep up with a big one. Now, is that a grounder for you guys or what?
Puff, I thought you would hang the meats with the string over the bar instead of the meat so not to leave a mark on the finished goods.
How'd you like the stuffer.....pretty cool, eh.
Good work.

Looks real good, Puff, and if it's a Witt family recipe, I'm sure that Polish will be great-tasting.

Is there a lot of sausage getting made around here or what? :shock:

--John
(Heck, I haven't even cured anything yet. But that will change soon.)

Looks like you are in business Puff..that smokehouse will serve you good...BTW you should be able to find small bags of cherry wood even at Gander Mnt..or other stores like that.

Whats the next project? :LOL:

******! :LOL: I knew I should have hung them the other way. :LOL: :oops: Lesson learned.
That bucket stuffer is unbelievably easy to use........I feel bad for the horn stuffer....alone.......unused.......in a dark basement. :cry:
Dave another addiction has set in. Venison jerky tommorow :D

Well the sausage are done. I gave them a shot of cold water when I took them off. The color and flavor were great.
The one thing that I felt was wrong was the texture. On the outside it had a nice snap to it, but on the inside it reminded me of a big "Slim Jim" the kind you buy at the store, very dry. I was hoping for a more "meatier" texture.
So what do you guys think? To much soy protein? Not enough pork?
Because I hung them the wrong way? (Kidding :shock: )

Dave I want to thank you for answering my 1000 questions.
You know your stuff dude ;)
(Thanks for another addiction too. 8) )

Puff said:
Well the sausage are done. I gave them a shot of cold water when I took them off. The color and flavor were great.
The one thing that I felt was wrong was the texture. On the outside it had a nice snap to it, but on the inside it reminded me of a big "Slim Jim" the kind you buy at the store, very dry. I was hoping for a more "meatier" texture.

I'm new to this but here are a couple things that come to mind;
1 Increase the fat
2 Like you said, decrease the soy
3 Grind more coarse
4 What was the ending internal temp...too high?

Can't tell there is a problem from the pics...looks good

Rag said:
Puff said:

I'm new to this but here are a couple things that come to mind;
1 Increase the fat
2 Like you said, decrease the soy
3 Grind more coarse
4 What was the ending internal temp...too high?

Can't tell there is a problem from the pics...looks good
1 you might need more fat
2 How much soy did you use
3 yep corse ground
4 I doubt it

5. Check them today after they have sat in the fridge and cooled down.
6. How well did you mix the meat...you need to mix it pretty good to get the protiens to start forming...

You are going to love that little smokehouse.
Report back today about the texutre.

It was a coarse grind, the internal temp. was 152*.
The recipe called for 2 cups of soy which I thought seemed like alot.(for 10 lbs.) 8 lbs. venison & 2 lbs. pork.
I'll try it again in a few and see if it changed any overnight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom