Sausage Factory at the Dog House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great Dave. The look on the boys faces is priceless! Such looks of determination! The tooth picks in the sausage in the smoker, is that to keep them from touching one another?

Yes it is nick..I typically don't overload the smoker like that if I can help it but today I did...when the sausages are touching you will get white spots on them..and the casings aren't as firm where they touch...because I am smoking them below 190* which I think is the temp that fat becomes a liquid..I don't have to worry about the juice leaking out...that and I used the soy protein which helps to bind the fat and meat together...
The boys had a great time today and were a big help..they made me promise that I would wait for them to get up to finish the sausage…

One happy Buford….

Plate of Food…

Close Up…..The Polish Sausage is on the left the Braut on the
The Boys felt the need to arrange their plates and wanted me to take pics…..

This sausage was cooked at BBQ temp..tomarrow I will post the pics of the ones I “coolâ€

Dog everything looks great!
Looks like the boys were having fun!

P.S. Address to follow ;)

Fantastic job! This is something the boys will look back on forever, helpin' Dad make sausage. That's fantastic too. :D

--John 8)
(I expect they'll turn into good cooks. :) )

First batch out of the smokehouse..I'll do the other batch tomarrow....

These were "cool" smoked at temps below BBQ temps 165*..notice the color difference

I used the magic dust this weekend http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t=6584&start=15 in my electric smokehouse. I mixed about 3 TBLS in with my regular cheery wood sawdust. I had no issues with the temp going hotter. I was a bit concerned when I open up the bag of magic dust…..I was worried that because it was so fragrant that it would overpower the finished product. Instead it brought to the forefront the subtle flavor of what type of wood was being used..rather than just being able to taste and smell the smoke flavor the type of wood that was being used was more recognizable

Good job Witt. That was a bunch of sausage. Think the biggest batch I ever tangled with is 40 lbs. That was an all day booty kicker and that dont even count the smoking which happened the next day.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Good job Witt. That was a bunch of sausage. Think the biggest batch I ever tangled with is 40 lbs. That was an all day booty kicker and that dont even count the smoking which happened the next day.

bigwheel
Thanks BW...I've found that when doing bigger batches its easier to break up the work over a couple of days...the first day I deboned and chunked the butts, the second I ground it, and on the third day we stuffed and smoked...I love that "bucket syle" stuffer we had the 30lbs of Polish stuffed in close to an hour.....
Do you want to post your lonely yankee braut recipe? Or should I..That's a good in....

Well glad you liked the Brats. Be glad for you to post the recipe if you like. Prob take me a week to find it:) Those was sorta custom designed for a fella I work with from Southern Illinois. They also passed muster from another pal from Michigan. They both claim it make you chunk rocks at whut passed for Brats in their home territory. Course I think most of them was raised on Johnsonvilles which I cant think of any sausage which tastes much worse than them thangs. Opps..yes there is. Earl Campbell Hotlinks. Now them thangs is flat nasty.

bigwheel

MmmmMMM! Makes me fart just thinking about it.
fart.gif

Had the opportunity to sample some of Witt and Sons fine sausage on Saturday and finally saw the differance between a hot smoke and a cold smoke. The cold smoke definetly had a richer tast and different texture than the hot smoked !

Chuckwagoncook said:
Wittdog,

Your gonna have to get faster than that.... :D :shock: :D :shock: :D :shock: we stuff about 75-100lb. per hour. And thats with an old enterprise stuffer, something like what you have but much older. Keep up the good work, your making me crazy with all of this sausage stuff. I am so ready to butcher!!
Is that with the kids helping and cutting the casings to lenght for the lectric....It's like nick says no pics no cook...get to making some sausage.. :D

Back
Top Bottom