Racked up some sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Made 10#s of brats (Pigs or Pens Johnsonville copy), 5# kielbasa wit chunked ham in it and 5#s of Andouille.
One pic shows a half assed rig in he smoker where 2 jack stands hold up aluminum angle with the meats hanging on it.
I started out at 120* to 130* in the chamber. After 30 minutes the meats had real large bubbles of water on the to where it dripped through the grate. Took a long while to dry. I don't know why this happens.
When reached 152* internal I pulled everything. Sausages were very greasy and had a tough shell or casing.
Flavor is dead on, but smoking these things is nasty.
Brats were frozen fresh are are better then I expected.
http://usera.imagecave.com/Rag/Sauage/

Sausage looks good...how long did you dry the sausage for and at what temp..what temp did you smoke it at...and how long were the casings flushed for?
Not enough drying time and to much heat to quick can lead to tough casings..
My .02 is to buy or build and lectic smokehouse. ;)

They look fantastic my brother. I did some up yesterday but havent had a chance to post the pics yet.

wittdog said:
Sausage looks good...how long did you dry the sausage for and at what temp..what temp did you smoke it at...and how long were the casings flushed for?
Not enough drying time and to much heat to quick can lead to tough casings..
My .02 is to buy or build and lectic smokehouse. ;)

They went into a 220* cooker dry. I checked at about 30 minutes and they were dripping wet. I need to run the cooker up high and then bring the temp down, thus drying it out. I ran for hours (most all day) below 230*, bring the temp up at the end to 275* for the finish. At the end I gave them a lame wetting with a spray bottle.
I think you are right, I need at smoke box.

120* for about an hour to dry...sometimes longer
145* of smoke for 4 hours
165* and let them ride till you get the internal temp you want

Back
Top Bottom