Pastrami Update (Update Again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
I used Rytek Kutas recipe for curing a brisket (page 327) in his book Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. I started curing last Sunday afternoon. I poured the cure liquid off Friday afternoon and soaked the brisket in plain water for about an hour changing the water about ½ hour in the process to remove some of the salt. I then dried the brisket with paper towels and seasoned with the seasoning from the http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html forum.

Pastrami Cooking Rub

I used fine ground seasoning. Course would have been better.

I put in the smoker about 5:05 and kept at a temperature of about 130 for 1 hour or so. I increased the temp to full power which only gave me a temperature of anywhere between 190 and 205 for the remainder of the smoke. I used pecan sawdust for smoke between the 2, 3, and 4th hour in the smoker. I smoked until and internal temperature of 175.

The outer surface seemed to have had a burnt flavor and the meat it self was a little dry. The taste is fine but nothing to brag about. Maybe I should have pulled the meat at 165 degrees.

I plan to make a hot pastrami on rye tomorrow. I’ll remove some of the outside seasoning because of the burnt taste on it.

Here are the pictures.

wboggs,

I actually wanted to make the Virtual Weber Bullet recipe but couldn't find the Morton's Tender Quik. I usually see it in the store's locally of course when I wanted to purchase some no one had any. Rytek's book did say use course black pepper and coriander for a rub. The Virtual Weber had three seasoning for the rub black pepper, coriander, and garlic.

Shows a person shouldnt be listening to dumb yankees with furrin names on how to make Pastrami:) Now dont be axing Witt how good his pastrami turned out. It will make you jealous. :LOL:

bigwheel

Mine did come out good....cleglue....wait till tomarrow...the flavors tend to change overnight...you might be more happy with the finished product after the flavors set up.

This evening I made each a hot pastrami for the family. It did taste much better today. I did take alot of the outter seasoning off because it tasted burnt.

Here is the picture of the slices as well as the new slicer I bought.

I bought the Villaware Food Slicer. I ordered it on a Tuesday week before last and it arrived on Thursday of the same week.

http://www.thenerds.net/index.php?page= ... =V00144000

I have never had a meat slicer before so I have no comparison. So far so good though. The housing is metal but all the removable parts are plastic. The gears are also plastic but it only cost me $103 with shipping. I was suppose to get a $10 discount for using Google but I think I'm going to have problems getting that. It would have cost $93 with the $10 discount.

I dont like using a slicer for Pastrami cuz since it basically a brisket at heart the grain changes too much. Lessen you keeps a real sharp eye out on it and change positions often you gonna have some slices which is crosscut which is good..and some which is ripped parallel with the grain which will be stringy. Time you swap ends with it 4 times and wash the slicer when you get done..time wise and surely quality wise you be better to have cut it by hand. Thats why when you order a Reuben at a big deli sometimes it good and sometimes it aint..cuz they cut stick it in the fancy slicer and run off and leave it. It purty disgusting to get one where the majority of the slices been cut wrong. It can strangle a person and might require the hiney lick manuever to get it unhung from your gullet. Just my .02 of course.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom