Oops, I did it again..... Finished pictures added - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > The Sausage Factory
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #1

Oops, I did it again..... Finished pictures added

make sausage that is! Sausage maker has a new sausage spice that sounded too good, Santa Fe sausage! I'm still making different sausages for Christmas and this week it's gonna be fresh kielbasa, after making smoked last week. I picked up an extra shoulder yesterday to try the Santa Fe mix. I started with 26.93 pounds of picnics (3). I wound up with 18.75 pounds of ground pork. I made 10 pounds of kielbasa and 8 3/4 pounds Sante Fe sausage.

Sante Fe 1 Santa Fe 2
Bucket stuffer1 Stuffer 2 Stuffer 3
Kielbasa 1 Kielbasa 2

Old 12-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Some good eats at the Prochilo house this year...good job Nick!!

Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Rag
BBQ Centralite

Real nice Nick. You adding pork fat??
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #4

Looks good Nick. Used fresh picnics a few times. Found they make mighty good sausage but are a biotch to skin and de-bone as compared to Boston Butts. Quite a bit more waste and a slightly higher fat content too. Course we all know fat is where the flavor is at

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #5

Nice job Nick.
Santa Fe. Sounds spicy.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #6

The holidays are going to be tasty at Nick's house.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag
Real nice Nick. You adding pork fat??
No, see below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Looks good Nick. Used fresh picnics a few times. Found they make mighty good sausage but are a biotch to skin and de-bone as compared to Boston Butts. Quite a bit more waste and a slightly higher fat content too. Course we all know fat is where the flavor is at

bigwheel
The cost upfront was $0.99 per pound. After deboning and deskining, the cost was $1.40 per pound. Butts, when I can find them, range around $1.55 per pound. Better deal, I think, more meat per dollar and extra fat without having to shop for it.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #8

Well the prices going to have to get wider apart than that for me to mess with the additional labor. Now did have a cajun specialty place down here who used to make sausage out of of boneless picnics they got from a wholesale place..Sysco or Ben E. Keith just guessing. The man say it give a little too much fat for the liking of his customers..so they went back to butts. Now Sysco used to have a heck of a deal on boneless butt..come in 60 pounds to the case and cryoed in roughly 20 pound increments. Was 1.68 last I bought. Seemed a little fatter than the bone in models from Kroger but sure did make it nice not to have to cut that odd looking 3 D bone outta there. Person's time got to be worth something. Prob take me 3 min to debone a butt..make that 20 mins for a picnic. I dont work cheap but I could be had

bigwheel
Old 12-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Well the prices going to have to get wider apart than that for me to mess with the additional labor. Now did have a cajun specialty place down here who used to make sausage out of of boneless picnics they got from a wholesale place..Sysco or Ben E. Keith just guessing. The man say it give a little too much fat for the liking of his customers..so they went back to butts. Now Sysco used to have a heck of a deal on boneless butt..come in 60 pounds to the case and cryoed in roughly 20 pound increments. Was 1.68 last I bought. Seemed a little fatter than the bone in models from Kroger but sure did make it nice not to have to cut that odd looking 3 D bone outta there. Person's time got to be worth something. Prob take me 3 min to debone a butt..make that 20 mins for a picnic. I dont work cheap but I could be had

bigwheel
The local supermarket where I usually buy my picnics was out yesterday. They debone and deskin at no additional charge. I found these at a different store and didn't have time to wait for them so i deboned and deskined myself. That with the chunking and grinding took about 2 hours last night. Yeah, a little work but really a labor of love!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #10

Well hope you slipped that butcher a coupla bucks for a soda. You a fortunant fella. You try to get em to cut up something or especially to run it through the ginder down here they usually get to stammering about cross contamination..blah blah blah. Two bucks usually get em in the mood to go to work. They start recognizing your goals and ambitions etc.
Sounds like you got if figgered out

bigwheel