Oops, I did it again..... Finished pictures added

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
make sausage that is! Sausage maker has a new sausage spice that sounded too good, Santa Fe sausage! I'm still making different sausages for Christmas and this week it's gonna be fresh kielbasa, after making smoked last week. I picked up an extra shoulder yesterday to try the Santa Fe mix. I started with 26.93 pounds of picnics (3). I wound up with 18.75 pounds of ground pork. I made 10 pounds of kielbasa and 8 3/4 pounds Sante Fe sausage.

Sante Fe 1 Santa Fe 2
Bucket stuffer1 Stuffer 2 Stuffer 3
Kielbasa 1 Kielbasa 2

Looks good Nick. Used fresh picnics a few times. Found they make mighty good sausage but are a biotch to skin and de-bone as compared to Boston Butts. Quite a bit more waste and a slightly higher fat content too. Course we all know fat is where the flavor is at:)

bigwheel

Rag said:
Real nice Nick. You adding pork fat??
No, see below!

bigwheel said:
Looks good Nick. Used fresh picnics a few times. Found they make mighty good sausage but are a biotch to skin and de-bone as compared to Boston Butts. Quite a bit more waste and a slightly higher fat content too. Course we all know fat is where the flavor is at:)

bigwheel

The cost upfront was $0.99 per pound. After deboning and deskining, the cost was $1.40 per pound. Butts, when I can find them, range around $1.55 per pound. Better deal, I think, more meat per dollar and extra fat without having to shop for it.

Well the prices going to have to get wider apart than that for me to mess with the additional labor. Now did have a cajun specialty place down here who used to make sausage out of of boneless picnics they got from a wholesale place..Sysco or Ben E. Keith just guessing. The man say it give a little too much fat for the liking of his customers..so they went back to butts. Now Sysco used to have a heck of a deal on boneless butt..come in 60 pounds to the case and cryoed in roughly 20 pound increments. Was 1.68 last I bought. Seemed a little fatter than the bone in models from Kroger but sure did make it nice not to have to cut that odd looking 3 D bone outta there. Person's time got to be worth something. Prob take me 3 min to debone a butt..make that 20 mins for a picnic. I dont work cheap but I could be had:)

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well the prices going to have to get wider apart than that for me to mess with the additional labor. Now did have a cajun specialty place down here who used to make sausage out of of boneless picnics they got from a wholesale place..Sysco or Ben E. Keith just guessing. The man say it give a little too much fat for the liking of his customers..so they went back to butts. Now Sysco used to have a heck of a deal on boneless butt..come in 60 pounds to the case and cryoed in roughly 20 pound increments. Was 1.68 last I bought. Seemed a little fatter than the bone in models from Kroger but sure did make it nice not to have to cut that odd looking 3 D bone outta there. Person's time got to be worth something. Prob take me 3 min to debone a butt..make that 20 mins for a picnic. I dont work cheap but I could be had:)

bigwheel

The local supermarket where I usually buy my picnics was out yesterday. They debone and deskin at no additional charge. I found these at a different store and didn't have time to wait for them so i deboned and deskined myself. That with the chunking and grinding took about 2 hours last night. Yeah, a little work but really a labor of love! ;)

Well hope you slipped that butcher a coupla bucks for a soda. You a fortunant fella. You try to get em to cut up something or especially to run it through the ginder down here they usually get to stammering about cross contamination..blah blah blah. Two bucks usually get em in the mood to go to work. They start recognizing your goals and ambitions etc.
Sounds like you got if figgered out :LOL:

bigwheel

When ya use a pork butt to make sausage, do ya use the heavy fat cap and all? Or do ya trim some of the heavy fat cap and then cut it in chunks and grind?

Damar12 said:
When ya use a pork butt to make sausage, do ya use the heavy fat cap and all? Or do ya trim some of the heavy fat cap and then cut it in chunks and grind?

I leave as much fat as I possible can. Fat = flavor and moistier

Dittos to whut Nick say..it mo betta to throw it up than throw it out. You can also boil up them butt bones for the dawgs. They love em. Now if you cooking comp grade pushed pork the fat cap gotta go. Not applicable in the least when it come to sausage.

bigwheel

SteerCrazy said:
Whats in that Santa Fe mix Nick??

The container reads salt, dextrose, garlic & onion powder, dehydrated bell peppers, lime juice solids, cilantro and spice extratives. I had some sliced today for lunch mixed in with cole slaw and it was GREAT!

Nick Prochilo said:
SteerCrazy said:
Whats in that Santa Fe mix Nick??

The container reads salt, dextrose, garlic & onion powder, dehydrated bell peppers, lime juice solids, cilantro and spice extratives. I had some sliced today for lunch mixed in with cole slaw and it was GREAT!

sounds like a good combo.....good lookin sausage :D

Back
Top Bottom