Oink Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
I’m making up the sausage for Oink today….The last two weeks have been one hell of a ride…this sausage was supposed to be made last week….but do to various things….it didn’t happen…I ran into a great deal of snags along the way but we have managed to get the sausage into the smoke house….As always the boys helped make the sausage..they did a great job of cranking…..Lynn is doing the clean up and I will begin the arduous task of smoking it…(I’m thinking a lot of beer, some blues on the ipod and some well deserved hammock time).
I’m looking forward to putting the smokehouse thru its paces…its been awhile since I could use it. Today its Grandpa Jumbos Polish sausage smoked with smokinlicous cherry logs….

The sausage has been smoking for about 5 hrs plus 1 hour to dry it out….It has taken on some nice color…time to turn the heat up to 165* and let it ride….

Looks great Witt..good job. Now tell me if that smoker got the heat coming up from the bottom how come it dont scorch the lower loops on the bottomside? I have to turn my link strings into hoops and give em an occasion spin on the sticks to make it cook evenly. Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff. Thanks.

bigwheel

That spin you are talking about of the links is a good idea…I haven’t had any issue with this because we made a heat sink/smoke diffuser out of a scrap piece of concrete board…and there is enough convection going on that the heat from the bottom isn’t an issue…also there is a fan attached to the back of the element that keeps the element cool and helps to move the heat….Least that’s what this Yankee things :LOL:

Sausage is done…The boys pronounced it good stuff….We dunked in in a cooler to stop the cooking process and shrink the casings…now it is Blooming….BW I took a pic of the diffuser/heat shield for you. The sausage is a good 1-2 ft away from the heat source…While we were waiting for the sausage to get done we did a little bonfire….

Wasn't it Grandpa Jumbos Polish sausage you brought last year? That's real good sausage.

Looking forward to seeing you all next Friday. Just got off the phone with Griff and he hasn't changed his mind yet. :)

--John

We'll convene a meeting of the 2009 Frozen Few Executive Committee. Unity will take notes because he doesn't drink.

Great pics.

Wow. Beautiful looking sausage.

The kids are cute as always!!!!

(I can't wait to see them !!! I am bringing them some special stuff for this trip!!!)

These butts were real lean…I didn’t have any pork fat and was unable to purchase any….I also looked for pork bellies to add to the mix (didn’t find any of them either)….So I ended up adding 5lbs of Salt Pork to the mix….I didn’t count the wt for the cure or the Salt amt….but I did count the wt when it came time for the other seasonings…the only thing I would do different would be to grind the salt pork with a smaller plate…
All in All I’m happy with the way these came out…PDG….they spent the better part of 5 hrs smoking in the smokehouse and were in the smokehouse for about 9 hrs all told….
We just had some sausage and eggs for breakfast….its all gone.

Thanks for the pic..think I'm getting the pitcher here so to speak. Now tell me about this blooming after they are done. Have heard the terminology but never quite figgered out whut is up with it. Now can see em blooming on the front end in order to let the cure do its job in turning the meat nice n pink. Thanks.

bigwheel

wittdog said:
Sausage is done…The boys pronounced it good stuff….We dunked in in a cooler to stop the cooking process and shrink the casings…now it is Blooming….BW I took a pic of the diffuser/heat shield for you. The sausage is a good 1-2 ft away from the heat source…While we were waiting for the sausage to get done we did a little bonfire….

The blooming thing on the back end :LOL: it has to do with the oxygen in the air and a deeper color of the meat.

Back
Top Bottom