Nitrite/Nitrate Safety Concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's hard to believe that we found yet another topic to disagree about! I guess what ever works for you and if you ever get together with others here and you have bacon or smoked sausage, you should just let everybody know what method you used to cook it!

wboggs said:
That's pretty interesting; I still feel that nitrates is something you dont want to add just to add and frankly almost any study these days can leave you wondering which side of the fence they stand on with their "facts".

If you are going to dry cure or cold smoke meat and don't use a cure you don't need to worry about cancer killing you, that meat will work much quicker than cancer does.

Jim

Chuckwagoncook said:
Just like all of the Studies out there that try and prove that Smoking and grilling of foods can cause cancer. The burnt or crust formed on the outside of a protien (meat) due to searing or grilling at high heat. It has been argued from both sides of the spectrum.

Do any of us stop BBQing or Grilling due to these studies?

As for food safety, I could care less what anyone does for themselves, but when doing for others it is a big deal to take as much precaution as possible, and too pay attention to Rules and Regs. Everyone should be smart enough to know that the info found on any website, here or elsewhere is only as good as the person posting it. We should also do our best to know what we are posting, and to post it in a safe fashion.

Lets get past these issues and get back to BBQ.

This is not meant to be a joke so please don't take it that way but it does seem that the KCBS Bullsheet is full of obituaries of BBQ'rs that have died before their full life expectancy and cancer and heart attacks seem to be the leading causes of death, so it is something to think about but unfortunately none of us think that it can or will happen to us. Definitely something to think about and keep in mind.

wboggs said:
jminion said:
wboggs said:
That's pretty interesting; I still feel that nitrates is something you dont want to add just to add and frankly almost any study these days can leave you wondering which side of the fence they stand on with their "facts".

If you are going to dry cure or cold smoke meat and don't use a cure you don't need to worry about cancer killing you, that meat will work much quicker than cancer does.

Jim
You clearly don’t know what you're talking about. :?

I'm getting old so if you hear I'm going to be in Pittsburg remind not to stop by for sausage at wboggs. :roll:

jminion said:
wboggs said:
jminion said:
wboggs said:

Jim
You clearly don’t know what you're talking about. :?

I'm getting old so if you hear I'm going to be in Pittsburg remind not to stop by for sausage at wboggs. :roll:

[smilie=lol_xtreme.gif]

wboggs
If Clostridium botulinum is not something you fear then don't use nitrates or nitrites during a curing process.

Nitrites get used up quickly in the curing process so you need to use nitrates that convert to nitrites as the curing process continues. But again botulinum is not something you fear so disreguard what I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom