Look what I got for X-mas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dang looks like you been a very good boy this year. Can tell its a killer grinder. Your luckier than the proverial 3 peckered Billy goat for Santa to bring you this deal. Do agree with the ad..it very stylish. Congrats. Let us put it to use soonish. Remember if there aint no pics it didnt really happen.

bigwheel

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Meat Grinder

Guess who is getting into making sausages this year?

JamesB said:
Just let me warn ya as a newbie sausage maker myself, it is extremely addicting! Good score on the grinder! What ya gonna for the stuffing operation??? I was heavily swayed by numerous comments about trying to stuff with the grinder being a major pain!

James.

I dont have a stuffer so I will use the grinder for now. My first venture will be some Brats. I love them things. Gotta find a place to get the casings and such. I did see that the local Tractor Supply carries Collagen casings. Any thoughts?

Bill,
I don't know how far Hampton, VA is from you but there's a Bass Pro Shop there and they have a great selection of sausage making items, including collagen casings.

I think for fresh sausage the natural casings are the way to go. I got mine at the sausage maker, www.sausagemaker.com They sent me a container of natural casings for a very good price and there are a bunch of casings in there. Sign up for a catalog if you visit the site.

SteerCrazy said:
Bill,
I don't know how far Hampton, VA is from you but there's a Bass Pro Shop there and they have a great selection of sausage making items, including collagen casings.

I think for fresh sausage the natural casings are the way to go. I got mine at the sausage maker, www.sausagemaker.com They sent me a container of natural casings for a very good price and there are a bunch of casings in there. Sign up for a catalog if you visit the site.

Thanks SC. My oldest goes to college down there. I will be checking them out.

How long do natural casings last? Looks like the only way to order is more than I will be making in one setting.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
SteerCrazy said:
Bill,

Thanks SC. My oldest goes to college down there. I will be checking them out.

How long do natural casings last? Looks like the only way to order is more than I will be making in one setting.

as long as they are packed in salt and kept in the fridge they will last forever ;)

Nick Prochilo said:
Bill, when your ready for a stuffer, PM me and I'll show you the one I got. It was the cheapest priced one I found.

Now your talking his language. :LOL: :LOL:

Brats are on my schedule of things to make. Does anyone make a brat that compares to Johnsonvilles (the best)?

I went with a LEM stuffer that cost more to get one with metal drive gears. The ones with plastic gears bothered me.

Ya know I have made a dedicated effort to acquire a taste for Johnsonvilles...but just haven't been able to do it. Only flavor I can dectect in those things is sweet. Perhaps the fact that I was grown afore I ever tried em and tend to be allergic to bland tasting stuff may have played a role in my not appreciating the flavor profile. Know some folks (all from North of the Mighty Red) who claims to just love em. Must be some type of regional preference type thang going on here. Now I can eat if there is enough mustard and kraut and stuff like that on there where I can't taste em too well.

bigwheel

Rag said:
Brats are on my schedule of things to make. Does anyone make a brat that compares to Johnsonvilles (the best)?

I went with a LEM stuffer that cost more to get one with metal drive gears. The ones with plastic gears bothered me.

Back
Top Bottom