Kitchenaid Attach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Anyone use the Kitchen aid mixer attachment for makin sausage? My guess is that it would be a pain in the behind cause #1 its to high off the ground and #2 you have to keep feeding it meat......Wife disagrees with me, so I thought I'd ask the pros, Even though im right and shes wrong reguardless..lol

Yes: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19428&start=0

Also, I used ours a couple of weekends ago to turn two 7-pound butts into sausage. The grinder works fine, in my opinion (I've never used a real meat grinder, so I don't have a basis for comparison). I've heard that the stuffer attachment doesn't work well at all, though.

I've been thinking of trying my hand at some sausage and even went as far as buying some casings from our local butcher. That's as far as I've gotten so far.

I saw the sausage stuffer attachment for the Kitchen Aid in a restaurant supply store for about $12.00. Anyone have experience with it, or is a bucket stuffer the best way to go?

For a sausage making hobby a KA and its various non working attachements makes a great mixer. In other words it aint worth a caca forget it. Now I like the little 3 pound lever action stuffer. Everybody makes fun of em but mine works great. Perfect for a one person operation. Now dont neva try stuffing cured meat. It will either break your arm or the handle off the stuffer. That sausage will cure in the cases just as well as outside.

bigwheel

PS..I would get the Made in Americka stuffer if I was you. Some of them cheap imports dont work too well or so I heard.

Ive seen some of the cheaper ones use plastic, immediatly I pictured it breaking as soon as I turned the handle. :x

I have used the Kitchen-Aid grinder for many years for my small amounts (20-30 lbs) of sausage. It works fine although it does plug once in a while but it is not much of a problem to clean it and start again.

img_211657_0_d4c251d55624e61dcb20d7683ef3a1ed.jpg

This batch is about 13 pounds and it came out good. Just be sure to cool the meat down good before you put it thru the grinder.

img_211657_1_58228c61e4feae51a9cf8fff46573ddf.jpg

All of the 13 pounds of ground pork.

The stuffing attachment for the Kitchen-Aid is a tough one to use. It takes two people and it really doesn't do a very good job. Probably ok if you only do a few batches a year and you have some help using the unit.

I would recommend purchasing a tin can stuffer for about 80-90 bucks if you plan to use it very often.

img_211657_2_cb26263aabbecc129a8d457657560eb6.jpg

Some brats coming out of my tin can stuffer.

img_211657_3_8a38b4105f8262dfc7e7e3078fd54db7.jpg

5 Pounds of brats.

img_211657_4_147158401ef27864ae660ef7d5a9e129.jpg

9 Pounds of Texas Hot Links ready to be linked.

I have an article of making this sausage up on the blog with several more pictures and information. You can find it here:

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/201 ... links.html

I got my stainless stuffer and electric grinder from Northern Tools and love both. The grinder is great with no effort at all. The stuffer takes a little effort doing it alone but is no problem. It would be easier if I locked it down to the counter but I do not.

Damar12 said:
I got my stainless stuffer and electric grinder from Northern Tools and love both. The grinder is great with no effort at all. The stuffer takes a little effort doing it alone but is no problem. It would be easier if I locked it down to the counter but I do not.
Just get a clamp and clamp it to the counter. They work like a charm!

You trying to get that po fella sent to solitary confinement? I ruined a perfectly good dining room table about 40 years ago by clamping a hand grinder to it. See that is the beauty of the lever action model stuffer. All the torque is down so it dont move around much cuz the harder you press the harder it gets forced to stay put. It dont need clamping or anchoring to anything. If it gets cute and trys to dart from side to side that is where the left hand comes in handy cuz it can steady the motion and still maintain control of the link. It would not be good for a one armed man to use it.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom