I order my sausage making supply.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Missing Link

Sous Chef
I made an order today for my grinder and i order the cures 1&2 and some fermento. Did i miss anything else beside the casings. I can't wait tell they get hear so i need to think up somethings to ask before they g hear.

Cancel the Fermento cuz all it is is buttermilk powder commonly available at any grocery store. You could also cancel the cures and use TQ in place of the salt which TQ is also a commonly available item nearly anywhere. As with most of the stuff Rytek promoted...its a scam.

bigwheel

TQ and insta cure 1 are not interchangable....TQ contains salt,cure 1, and sugar...recipes need to be changed if using TQ for instacure 1....Insta Cure 2 is used for dry curing and aging over a long period of time...it should not be used on meat that will be fryed like bacon...

As for the fermento...I use it...

Link all you are missing is casings, meat and a recipe...

Ahh no...TQ contains both Nitrates and Nitrites..i.e. cure 1 and 2. It can be used in place of either. The key to using comes in using it in place of the salt ration required in the recipe.

bigwheel

wittdog said:
TQ and insta cure 1 are not interchangable....TQ contains salt,cure 1, and sugar...recipes need to be changed if using TQ for instacure 1....Insta Cure 2 is used for dry curing and aging over a long period of time...it should not be used on meat that will be fryed like bacon...

As for the fermento...I use it...

Link all you are missing is casings, meat and a recipe...

Dont normally use it for stuff destined to be fried but have fried up a few cured patties for testing purpose but dont do it often. Thanks for the warning.

bighweel

Comes from debatable science from about a decade or two ago (maybe something more recent but havent seen personally) that meats containing sodium nitrites (which is the time released version of sodium nitrate aka cure #2) when exposed to high heat..as in frying or hot smoking causes the nitrites to turn themselves into nitrosomines (sic) which is rumored to be carcenogenic (sic) give a person or a white rat a big old fat canser in other words. Was cautioned at that time when frying bacon for example to do it low and slow and it be safer. There has been other studies in the meantime saying the risk has been overplayed..sorta like Algore's global warming myth (Joe Ames got a lot of factoids on that one). Fact is aint no kinda meat let alone cured meat which could be considered health food:) With all the recent outbreaks of salmonella and lysteria in the fresh vegetable world I am now also skerred to eat veggies too. Not sure whut a person could eat to be really safe. You got any idears?

bigwheel

bigwheel,

We'll have to start growing our on vegetables and fruit, and raise our own hogs and cows. My wife's grandfather did that most of his life and he lived until age 94. I told my mother-in-law he didn't get sick until ya'll started watching his diet!

Yepppers sounds like a good plan to me. Just skerred the neighbors start raising cain if I got hawgs and chickens running around in the backyard:) Think a person be better off to just eat whuts available after praying over it of course.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom