How to make Canadian Bacon Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_tVG573yXsk"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_tVG573yXsk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>
This is the second video in our 3 video series on how to make pea meal and Canadian Bacon. In this video we cover what needs to be done after the loins have been brined for 5 days and how to make a fry up some pea meal bacon. The first step is to remove the loins from the brine and then rinse with cold water and scrub the outside down with a stuff brush. We do this so the bacon will not be to salty the excess salt tends to stick to the outside of the bacon.
A word about salt when doing cures or rubs for BBQ make sure to use no iodized salt. The Iodine can leave white streaks after the meat has been smoked. Kosher salt does not contain iodine so it is ok to use.
As the smokehouse is preheating to 160* (the meat will take the temp down to 140*) place the loins on cooling racks to dry some. This will speed up the drying process in the smokehouse. When the smokehouse comes up to temp then either place on bacon hooks, stuff into stockenetts or into casings or lie flat on the racks to cook. I prefer just to hang the bacon from the hooks, they can be difficult to stuff into casings and the stockinet bags and they both cost extra and the only benefit is cosmetic. If you chose to use the bags the night before soak the bags in vinegar. If you don’t want the diamond patter on your meat from the bags you can add a little liquid smoke to the vinegar for coloring. It won’t change the flavor. I’m talking like a teaspoon of liquid smoke to 2 Cups of vinegar. The vinegar will make it easier to remove the bag from the meat. If you use casings dust the loin with Soy Protein or Powdered milk this will make it easier to remove the casing as well. I don’t like to lay them flat on the rack in the electric smokehouse because the area is so small and it doesn’t cook evenly. Again this is a personal preference. And depending on what type of smoker you are using will also dictate what method you use.
When the smokehouse is at temp hang the bacon and keep the temp at 140* for about 4 hours or until the outside of the bacon is dry to the touch. Then add the sawdust and smoke for about 4 more hours. I time it by 2 pans of sawdust at a temp of 160*. I like to use hickory wood for the first pan and mostly hickory with a touch of cheery for color and sweetness in the second pan. After the smoke has cleared let the smokehouse ride at 160* till the meat hits 142* for fully cooked Canadian bacon leave in smokehouse till the internal temp is 152*-155*. If you pull the bacon at 142* its not considered complete cooked and will need to heated before you eat it.
After the bacon reaches your desired temp remove from smokehouse and shower with cold water till the internal temp is 110*. Let bloom for a few hours and refrigerate. The next morning slice and use as needed.
For the pea meal bacon after it has been removed from the brine and dried some just roll it in cornmeal. Slice what you need and fry it with a little bit of butter. When it starts to become white flip it over and brown the other side. Remember when cutting the loin even though it is cured it is still raw pork and should be handled as such.
We also made some tasso which I am told is a Cajun delight. We just sprinkled a little Cajun rub on the outside and will smoke it like that.

Bravo man!!!!
I'm learning tons from them kids. So Batman was actually Mikey?

Great work to the Pit Master too. He and Mikey did a super job on all of that.

The JB imitation was spot on with touching his nose then saying Pay Attention Boy! hahahaha!

A STAR is born man. Be proud those are some good boys. Watch out for Mikey them Mikes are known to be Hellions.

Thanks Dog for your time and sharing.
peace

You never know which one is under the mask :LOL:
D wanted to get some screen time before school.....and have some of the peameal..that stuff was right off the pan when he was eating it...I give him credit he gave a piece to his bus driver.

Nice job as always my friend..Man I wish I lived close to you..Oh wait..I do...Could be time to make a trip to WS...

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="john pen":17zyzx0h]Nice job as always my friend..Man I wish I lived close to you..Oh wait..I do...Could be time to make a trip to WS...
Good stuff Dave. Hay John, I'll meet you there! I'll bring the beer. :LOL:[/quote:17zyzx0h]

Ahhhh..those four magic words....

I should have the finished smoked video done tomarrow...
Both of the boys had breakfast today...the Pea Meal was a little snack...they looked like they hadn't eatn for days...
I know they have been eating good cuz I've been cooking dinner and not my wife :LOL:

Flytyer said:
Absolutely no disrespect to JB or others who make videos, but this is the best I've seen. I especially love how patient you are with the boys - letting them put the rub on and such. The best part was when your youngest son was having his turn putting on the cajun rub...the older boy was watching like he wanted to take over something fierce :LOL:

Reminds me of my two oldest.

Thanks and keep them coming!

FT your 100% correct having them young'uns helping out Takes Daves videos up to A+ #1 rating. Just remember I was the 1st to start video cooking clips here & on many other forums. Don't know if yall remember but my 1st clip was by accident. I don't think I even posted it here.

BTW On a side note I tought Dave everything ;) :roll: :shock:

Back
Top Bottom