First time smoked kielbasa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Well today is my first attempt at smoked kielbasa. Thanks to Dave I think it will turn out okay. It's been in the smoke house since 10:00 this morning and still has 25* more to go before it gets it's cold shower. I'll post finished pictures later.

13 lbs. mixed
First load in the stuffer
Links
Smokin

Looking good Nick...Remember don't shower the sausage..submerge it in the sink..that way it wont wrinkle....Next time if you double the length of the sausage you can tie the ends together to make a ring...It might be a little easier to deal with that way.

Do look good. Fine job. Will agree with Witt...make them link strings long enough to tie into hoops. When you get em on the dowels just give em an occasional spin like the steering wheel on a bus. That keep the bottom of the string from overcooking whilst the topside is looking bland.

bigwheel

Yeah, that 25* took until 9:00 PM. Here's the finished pics. I took a taste this morning for breakfast and it was FANTASTIC! All shrunk wrapped and in the freezer!

Here they are

Breakfast

Note to self, next time use bigger casings! I used what I had on hand, 32 - 35 mm. I should have used bigger because they shrunk down a bit!

Nick,
the pic with the casings and stuffer in the photo, is that container filled with water that has the casings in them? That container sorta looks like those Tupperware juice type containers

SteerCrazy said:
Nick,
the pic with the casings and stuffer in the photo, is that container filled with water that has the casings in them? That container sorta looks like those Tupperware juice type containers

It's tupperware or something but the casings are soaking in vinegar as per bigwheel. It really do make them slick!

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Very nice Nick. Aint sausage making fun! :D

It sure is. I'm doing fresh kielbasa this weekend!

[

It's tupperware or something but the casings are soaking in vinegar as per bigwheel. It really do make them slick!

Is that pure 100% vin or diluted to something less strong????
Stuffer looks sturdy....who's is it?

I have a load of 3 kinds of sausage in the frig that needs eating, I'm trying to loose weight and have the itch to make more. We'll see which one wins this weekend.

Rag said:
[

Is that pure 100% vin or diluted to something less strong????
Stuffer looks sturdy....who's is it?

I have a load of 3 kinds of sausage in the frig that needs eating, I'm trying to loose weight and have the itch to make more. We'll see which one wins this weekend.
Vac Pac em..and then use as needed....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom