Finished Pictures.....Making Soppressata...Nick Inspired!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
My wife's cousin's husband and I made Soppressata last evening. The 32 links are now drying in the old freezer I have. The hog middles truly were a pain in the rear. The middles had a lot of very thin spots which caused them to explode will stuffing. I also need to learn to tie the links better. I had a few that fell. I love the fibrous casing I use for venison sausage much better.

We made 25 pounds of soppressata.

Here are the pictures. The white bowl is fat back.

The recipe is from the book "Charcuterie The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn...page 186-188.

The recipe is posted here

http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11875

Looks good. Might have em a little overstuffed be the problemo of the blowouts. Them look purty plump. Beef middle casings are good if you want a little larger diameter sausage without overfilling.

bigwheel

I was going to check them this coming Friday or Saturday. That will be three weeks. I've has a time with the humidity in the unplugged freezer. It goes to 100 % when the door is shut. I've finally been able to keep a small crack that keep it between 50% and 60% humidity.

I'll post a quick picture of what they look like when I get home.

Here is what they look like. I weighed three of the four that were weighed and it seems that they have lost 30% of their starting weight. I'm going to try and wait until Friday but that may not happen.

Do they feel firm? When your ready to start tasting, take the smallest and cut into it a little from either end. When you look at the meat, you will know if it's ready to eat or not.

Here are the finished pictures. I used the Bactoferm™ F-RM-52 in this recipe. I must say that Soppresata must be an acquired taste. The only Soppresata I have tried is from the grocery store. Mine did taste similiar but of course better.

How do I store the finished soppresata links?

Click the first link and it will take you to the bigger pictures.

I store mine, uncut in a plastic bag in the fridge. I still have a stick left from before thanksgiving that I just had a taste of yesterday. I grew up on that stuff and I won't buy store made again!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom