Easy Smoked Sausage for Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
WineMaster said:
I was wondering if there is a Smoked Sausage that is very easy and kind of a no brainer to make that MOST people will enjoy.
New to sausage making.
smoked sausage that is easy and kind of a no brainier to make? No such thing. First off we have no idea of what equipment you have, Second, what kind of sausage do you like? Third, are you talking about 'hot smoked, or cold smoked?' Fill us in on that and someone may be able to point you in the direction you want to go. There is NO quick and easy with sausage as there is no quick and easy with barbecue. Well there is, but a tub of Q from the supermarket and a microwave don't cut it. Little more info please. :scratch

Its meatloaf in a gut. If you aint got no guts..saran wrap works just fine. Form into the shape of long wolf turds and wrap it in saran..cook it 30 mins indirect..then take it out and let it cool 30 mins to an hour. Take it out of the saran and cook it as normal. That come from Charlie and Ruthie Knotes book..bbq and sausage making secrets:) Had to do with gutless sausage.

bigwheel

Never mind. :roll: Just don't make any one sick or kill some one. There is a HUGE difference in cold smoking & hot smoking. Just trying to help. I'm a forth generation sausage maker, so what do I know. [smilie=a_whyme.gif] My great grandfather had a sausage kitchen and shop in Buffalo till 1968. By the way, my wife had known Rytek Kutas for many years growing up Bufflao also. That's my life story on sausage anyway. :LOL: As I said, just trying to help.

WineMaster said:
Great technique Bigwheel, And Thank you Whittdog. For the two of you,
glad you dont have to type out your life story just to get a little advice.
You both had great tips that are easily used.

Cheers Dan

PS -- Pigs, How do you Hot smoke Sausage without rendering out the Fat. 180 degrees will melt it out, Isnt that correct?
Keep it fun, This aint Brain Surgery. If you reveiw the first post, I was asking more for a spice or flavor profile that is liked by most.
You are right if you hot smoke sausage you render out the fat and have a differnt finished product then one smoked below 180* I typically smoke my sausage at temps of 120* for the first hour...then 145* with smoke for about 4 hours then..up to 165*

WineMaster said:
I was wondering if there is a Smoked Sausage that is very easy and kind of a no brainer to make that MOST people will enjoy.
New to sausage making.

WineMaster said:
Great technique Bigwheel, And Thank you Whittdog. For the two of you,
glad you dont have to type out your life story just to get a little advice.
You both had great tips that are easily used.

Cheers Dan

PS -- Pigs, How do you Hot smoke Sausage without rendering out the Fat. 180 degrees will melt it out, Isnt that correct?
Keep it fun, This aint Brain Surgery. If you reveiw the first post, I was asking more for a spice or flavor profile that is liked by most.

I reveiwed it...and personally I think pigs was right on the money asking about cold or hot smoking... you asked for advice on "easy and no brainer" sausage...not a spice or flavor profile ......

The first thing that comes to mind for easy and no brainer is hot smoking (which I don't prefer) but is easy and believe it or not... most people DO like it that way....only for the simple fact they have never experienced cold smoked and are familiar with it's hot smoked taste. Cold smoking is obviously a bit more time consuming.

For the flavor profile I think most people kinda "expect" a sausage on the sweet side with maybe a little bite/spice. Are you looking for most to like it because it seems familiar?...or are you looking for most to like it because of it's something unique that they have never experienced.

I'd go with cold smoking it and add some inique ingredients that they can't get in your local supermarket sausage... WoW them with your skills........When it comes to cooking...usually nothing REALLY good is quick and easy. Your time and love for food will always shine through on something you worked hard at.

just my $.02

Never bite the hand that feeds you... you never know when you'll be hungry again.

WineMaster said:
Thank you again Wittdog. Been cooking on a offset for so long and now moved to my new smoker, just need to learn how to keep her at the lower temps. That will be my biggest challenge.

Cheers Dan
My electric smokehouse is basically a box with a hotplate in it..

Well sorry they have gave up on you so easy. I always try to help my pals with any kind of problemo. I detect you are looking for a universally accepted recipe perhaps? Now is this hot or cold? If it hot think you will find near any kind of non hot breakfast sausage should just fit the bill. Try my old pal Jess (recently went to be with the Lord I heard..kindly pray for his family.) I post it over in the recipe section if I can find it.

bigwheel

WineMaster said:
Sorry I asked the question in the first place.

Wont bother ya anymore.

Back
Top Bottom