Dry Cured Pep and Salami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
The temp and humidity levels are just right in my basement to go on a dry curing run….the Two Dry Cured Ham Projects http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=still need a few more weeks of curing time before they get hung….the Bresaola http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= is just about ready to go in the basement……The mrs wanted to make some Salami and the boys want pepperoni so today we did 10lbs of Tuscan Salami, and 20lbs of pepperoni…
The Salami was stuffed into natural beef casings…but the meat inside was pork. The pep was stuffed into collagen casings both of a pepperoni size and a bigger salami size casing…it will lose about 30% of its size and wt after it is done drying out.
The salami mix

It’s a rustic recipe with few ing….Pork, Pork Fat, Salt, Sugar, Cure 2, Black Pepper, Fennel, a little garlic and some Chianti (sp) (I know Hannibal Lecture had his liver with it and some Fava Beans). I also used a bacterial culture that the sausage maker now carries.
Stuffed Salami

The pepperoni is a mix of pork and beef, and a long list of ings…
Pepperoni

The pep stuffed

Both together

They now need to incubate, which they are into the smokehouse after enough time they will then be hung to dry in the basement…

How long till they will be ready to eat...?

Just need to know so I can schedule a trip over there..

12-16hrs in the smokehouse 80*-90* for the temp...no smoke

To Dry
3 weeks at least for the small pep...
6-8 weeks for the salami probably

Dave how do you determine the humidity level?
I'd like to try some dry cured stuff this winter.
I have a small storage area in the basement that might work.
I was thinking of maybe using a cool mist humidifer if the level isnt right.
Good idea or bad?
You sure have alot going on there. :shock:
Just about time for a new building huh? Your yard is big enough. :idea:

I realized I have one of those. :oops:
It was my Grandpa's. It also has a thermometer and barometer. (Been hanging by my front door)
I'm going to go back and read up some in the Kuta's book.
Prepare yourself for the numerous PMs over the winter ;)
Now........how to explain to the wife about the meat hanging in the basement. I just won't tell her. 8)

Puff said:
It was my Grandpa's. It also has a thermometer and barometer. (Been hanging by my front door)
Now........how to explain to the wife about the meat hanging in the basement. I just won't tell her. 8)
For the Dry Cured stuff...I'm using a differnt book.....try explaining that to the wife :LOL:

wittdog said:
Puff said:
For the Dry Cured stuff...I'm using a differnt book.....try explaining that to the wife :LOL:
Would that book be this one?
http://www.fivelakesgrill.com/charcuterie.php
My buddy at http://lazybonessmokehouse.net/ plays golf with Brian Polcyn. You ever hear of this book?

Yeah that would be the book...I would love to pick that guys brain.
I've been reading up on this stuff for about a year...I have a couple of different sources..that book being one, the kutas book, a new book that just came out and a few different web sites.

Well I am highly impressed on the expertise you are showing on the dry curing bizness. I love to eat it like a hawg loves slop. Never have got around to trying to make none..that I can recall at moment..but then I am offically too old fat and lazy to get motivated to make any kinda sausage..let alone something complicated showcasing the dry curing aspects of the hobby. I love those beef middle casings..cant really tell em from pork..at least I couldnt which dont mean much of course. They seem generally a little fatter than med hawg guts..just the ticket on ring baloney..andouilla..Kielbasa and stuff like that which is typically a little mo bigga in diameter than some others. Should be perfect for pepperoni I would think. Congrats on that basement acting nice on the humidity levels. I had often wondered if a humidifier or even a vaporizer might help on some occasions..thanks for confirming my suspicions:) Great job on that sausage making. We might be wanting to buy your book one of these days. Keep up the good work!! When you get rich and famous don't forget to throw your old pals a few crumbs.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well I am highly impressed on the expertise you are showing on the dry curing bizness. I love to eat it like a hawg loves slop. Never have got around to trying to make none..that I can recall at moment..but then I am offically too old fat and lazy to get motivated to make any kinda sausage..let alone something complicated showcasing the dry curing aspects of the hobby. I love those beef middle casings..cant really tell em from pork..at least I couldnt which dont mean much of course. They seem generally a little fatter than med hawg guts..just the ticket on ring baloney..andouilla..Kielbasa and stuff like that which is typically a little mo bigga in diameter than some others. Should be perfect for pepperoni I would think. Congrats on that basement acting nice on the humidity levels. I had often wondered if a humidifier or even a vaporizer might help on some occasions..thanks for confirming my suspicions:) Great job on that sausage making. We might be wanting to buy your book one of these days. Keep up the good work!! When you get rich and famous don't forget to throw your old pals a few crumbs.

bigwheel
Come on Uncle Wheel we know you aren't going to toss your hard earned money at a yankee sausge making book :LOL:

The preserve and drying room….empty…waiting to be fed….

After the incubation period and ready to be dried out…

Lynn did a nice job braiding the reinforcements for the beef middles..

The pep all hung up

The Salami

See you in a few weeks……

I'll bet that's going to be some good stuff when it's done.
Looks like like I have alot of reading to do. :shock:

Well you right as usual. No use in spending hard earned money on a yankee sausage book..I bees expecting a free 1st edition autographed in the author's own blood. This be strictly an evaluation sample type deal. Thanks. Let me know when you need my snail mail. Meanwhile I sitting out by the mailbox in the lawn chair.

bigwheel

wittdog said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel
Come on Uncle Wheel we know you aren't going to toss your hard earned money at a yankee sausge making book :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom