Christmas gift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry D.

Head Chef
I got this book:
charcuterie_lg.jpg
for Christmas but I haven't worked up the courage to try any of the more exotic sausages. I've got about 7 pounds of pork butt in the refrigerator which will become Alton Brown's breakfast sausage once I grind it. But between the book, and Wittdog's posts, I think I see another expensive hobby looming on the horizon. :LOL:

After the start up costs....grinder, stuffer...smokehouse... :shock: Its not to expensive :twisted: :LOL:
Enjoy the book

I have always compared sausage making to bullet reloading. It aint much fun to do it but the end results can be good. Way too much work to be considered fun. Not terribly expensive hobby. If you want to make money you always can smoke it up and go sell it to the drunks down at the local beer joint. Can't get it too hot or salty for them folks. Course then the yankees all start screaming for Brats and you bees in bizness. Them poor folks aint neva had a real Brat. They was raised on Johnsonvilles.

bigwheel

Awesome book Larry. I met Brian a few months ago. Guy at the Q joint I work for in the summer golfs with him.
Take the plunge dude! :mrgreen:

2 Buddy's of mine have the book and last summer we tried some sausages, all pork, some with spices, some with extra cheese inside, all natural casings.

Can't say I disliked one...

So now I have 7 pounds of breakfast sausage, and 7 pounds of Italian sausage (in bulk). But I want to try something that's stuffed into casings. I guess it's time to start watching Craig's List for a stuffer. :?

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement.

Nick, that does look like a pretty good price on a stuffer. If I decide to take the plunge, that may be the one. Thanks! :)

You have the recipe book, someone that has tried the recipes and recommends them, so what are you looking for before you try it. I bet it will turn out great. And I want some of those recipes because I am too cheap to buy the book.

Making sausage is fun. Val and I spend a weekend every year and fill the 17 cube freezer with as much as we can. Like Wittdog sez, "don't mater if you make 10 pounds of 50 pounds, clean up is the same."

Pigs

Back
Top Bottom