Christmas Eve Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteerCrazy

Head Chef
Well I've had the grinder for over a year and my stuffer I just got a month ago. Now it was time for the sausage! My father in law came over Christmas Eve and we made about 40lbs of sausage :shock:

I want to personally thank Dave (Wittdog) for all the help and an emergency # to call in case I ran into problems. Fortunately I didn't have to bother his family on Christmas Eve. Thanks again Dave!

15lbs of bulk breakfast sausage (we stuffed about 12 of these bags)

I picked up a breakfast sausage seasoning package from Bass Pro, said it made the equivalent of 15lbs so we used it all! It was really good!

Next up we made 10lbs of English Bangers. This one is a type of english breakfast sausage as well, mix the seasonings and it calls for a cup of bread crumbs. This tasted like a true breakfast link sausage. It was very good as well.

After that we made 10lbs of Sicilian Italian Sausage. Typical Italian sausage but add romano cheese and chablis instead of water (we added sauvignon blanc)
Haven't tasted this but it sure smelled good

Lastly we made 5lbs of mildly hot Italian sausage. This was a packet from the Sausage Maker. Haven't tried this but I'm sure it will come out good.

I should have had my casings soaking a day or so prior but I made the mistake and did not. I did though add the vinegar to the water and that helped. Had maybe 2 blowouts but other than that it was a simple process if you know what you are doing.

I've vacuum sealed them and they are setting in the fridge. Tomorrow I'll divide them up and freeze them.

Made some biscuits and sausage gravy with the bulk breakfast sausage for Christmas breakfast. The sausage was excellent! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas :D

oompappy said:
Great job!!! 8) Do the bangers pop open when they cook?
Looks like sausage makin' season is in full swing! :D

we cooked up 1 link, it actually was from a popped casing. It had 1 area that popped open but it was really no big deal. It didn't pop until near the end of it being cooked. Just sliced and it was not a problem ;)

For a first time, you came out of the gate with a roar. No test runs here.
What will happen next is you will start giving it away for an excuse to make more.
Good job.

Nick Prochilo said:
Great job Dan. How about sharing the recipes?

Thanks Nick. The English Bangers and the Sicilian Italian came from the Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing from the Sausage Maker.

The Italian sausage mix came from the Sausage Maker and the breakfast sausage was a mix from Bass Pro.

If you have a copy of the book it's in the fresh sausage area. ;)

Rag said:
For a first time, you came out of the gate with a roar. No test runs here.
What will happen next is you will start giving it away for an excuse to make more.
Good job.

Thanks Rag, after those 40lbs I think I kept about 10 lbs of it. The rest was given away :D

brian j said:
wow, how long did it take you to make all that?

brian, we started at about 2pm and finished up about 6pm, let's just say I was wiped out after that but it was well worth it :D

Man, you sausage guys are making me covetous. The local Safeway has butts on sale and I mentioned to my wife that I'd like to buy a bunch, get a grinder, get a stuffer, and start making sausage. Turns out the day after Christmas was the wrong day to bring that up.

Griff said:
Man, you sausage guys are making me covetous. The local Safeway has butts on sale and I mentioned to my wife that I'd like to buy a bunch, get a grinder, get a stuffer, and start making sausage. Turns out the day after Christmas was the wrong day to bring that up.

Gee Griff, who da thunk! :LOL:

Griff said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

--John 8)
(Really, though, you need yet another hobby. :P )

Well your mighty welcome on this end. Always glad to try and be of some small service to my pals:)

bigwheel

JamesB said:
SteerCrazy said:
I want to personally thank Dave (Wittdog) for all the help and an emergency # to call in case I ran into problems.

Double dittos from here as well! Wittdog and Bigwheel have both been invaluable in my recent sausage endeavors! Thanks to both of you!

James.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom