Canadian Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Just picked up two whole pork loins.....going to make some CB...and maybe some Capacolla....pics to follow in about a week ;)

My boys tear this stuff up....we eat alot of the stuff and then freeze the rest...we just used the last of the CB that was in the feezer..I also give some of it away...but I might start selling it.....

Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
wittdog said:
CAPACOLLA is a lunch meat.
I don't think I've ever heard of it. Sounds Eyetalian.
Good luck with the project ;)

Yes littlewheel, it's Italian! Take a look here http://stores.guilianos.com/-strse-97/C ... Detail.bok

Hey witt, PLEASE post this recipe!

There we go with the whole "aged meat" thing.....they are advertising it as aged to acquire it sweet and distinctive flavor....and it's PORK!

Thinking it must be cured...before it's aged...?

Yes it's cured and not all of it is aged...some is and some is cooked...I'll post the recipe when I get a chance...

The CB all trimmed up and ready to get injected and brined…..(2 Whole Loins)

In the brine

I’ll keep it in the brine till Tuesday..that’s 5 days then I will smoke it on Tuesday

Witt, are you trimming the loins down and using the center cut only. In the top picture I see the fatty pieces have been trimmed off, do you brine those also?
I have a vertical smoker that I am going to put an electric burner with a sawdust pan and make some different types of bacon.

Yes I trim the loins the center cut makes a nice presentation and sometimes you run into the silverly stuff and trimming it makes it easier to cut that stuff off...the fatty pieces that are left I also brine and smoke..I call it mutant bacon it works well diced in an omelete or as an ingredient in greens or such..sometimes I sprinkle it with some Cajun seasoning and make some Yankee Taos Bacon...When I make CB I get 2 whole loins trim and cut them into thirds...I take the 6 pieces and stand them up around the bucket and then add the mutant stuff in the middle..when its done curing I take 2 of the 6 pieces and use it for Pea Meal Bacon..let dry some and roll in corn meal then fry it up...its good for breakfast or lunch the rest is then smoked....Hope this helps....Good luck on your vertical smoker conversion...something you may want to invest in are some bacon hooks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom