breakfast sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some folks make pan sausage from lean pork but you need to melt some lard in the skillet when you cook it. Ground Picnic or Butt with the full fat cap works great. 20 to 25% fat for most recipes.

I made a very small batch of breakfast sausage once with pork butt and found I needed more fat. It came out very very lean. Maybe the picnic cut would be better as suggested or get a pound of fat back and add to the recipe.

JamesB said:
cleglue said:
I made a very small batch of breakfast sausage once with pork butt and found I needed more fat. It came out very very lean. Maybe the picnic cut would be better as suggested or get a pound of fat back and add to the recipe.

I've only made 3 batches of sausage, but each time I used untrimmed butts... plenty of fat! I would think that the picnic/shoulder would be much leaner... I'd have to bet that using the butts got me into the 25% fat content range...

James.

I've only used the picnic section and found it to have all the fat I need. You have to be careful removing the skin and there is a load of fat under it!

Having had the honor of trying to skin and debone fresh picnics on several occasions...give me butts any old day. Should be plenty of fat in an untrimmed butt for any kinda sausage a person might want to make. I will continue to swear that picnics have a higher fat content than butts..so if a person got plenty of free time to prep the things and wants greasy sausage..picnics should be a good option. Got this meat ration from Big Dave and use it for about everything nowadays. Will skeer the heck out of a 20 pound batch any old day and sure has a good flavor. Have posted it before I think so kindly forgive any redundancy.

2 deboned butts (should weigh in the general vicinity of 13 lbs or so)
1 5 lb chub of ground 80/20 beef chuck (or hamburger if you like grease)
1 3 lb box of bacon ends and pieces

bigwheel

Brian: I most of the time grind some extra pork butt to add to the mix if I over season. I also do a small test patty in a pan and taste just to check it out and be sure it's what I want. I grind my breakfast sausage twice, first grind is 3/8 plate then threw the small plate. I don't know what size it is. Look's great, ya done good.

Do look mighty tasty. Ya done good. Will agree with you..a little thyme goes a long way.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom