$400 - which Grinder would you get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GimpyMagoo

Discombobulated BBQ'r
ok, I have $400 to spend on a grinder. I'm looking at the Cabelas 3/4hp or the LEM .35 ($279), If I can justify the extra $24 dollars Lem has the 3/4 for $424, and as yet undiscovered grinders in this price range.
they have great reviews, adaptable for other kitchen items the wife might appreciate etc. in other words a motor with attachments with the grinder being primary.

You have $400 to spend on a grinder, what would you buy if you had to do again.?
Ideas beyond the two I mentions are appreciated also.

Hey Gimpy. Myself and several other folks snagged the 1 HP SS Chicom grinder from Nothern Tool for around 300-400 and some change. Been a good grinder but dont notice it in their online catalog right now. The Cabela deal sounds good. I dont have much use for the multipurpose gizmo since suffering for a few years trying to use one of those crazy Kitchen Aid Mixers. That is a total peece o sheet for anything other than making pie maybe. Non of the attachments work as advertised. Hope the deal your looking at dont suffer the same issues. I would always go with a dedicated grinder. In fact be glad to sell you my big Mama Grinder. I have got way too old and lazy to use it..lol. Shipping to Totoland run about 40 bucks cuz it weighs 80-90 lbs or so. Lightly used. It can grind up a hippo if you chunk it up enough to feed down the tube. It will take Hobart plates. Let me know. This grinder looks a lot like the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Stainless-Steel-Meat-Grinder/dp/B002H3NTRE

Last edited:
Thanks BW.
I'm thinking a grinder is a motor, gears and a auger. a dual purpose grinder is a motor, gears a chuck and an auger where someone has made attachments to fit the chuck. seems reasonable to me.
I to have a kitchenaid and used the grinder many many years ago and was ok considering I only used it once - lol. still have the attachment somewhere. Nope, wont be considering a KA for this endeavor.

I thought about building one out of the buffalo tools 22 grinder with the pulley wheel and a 3/4hp motor built into a bench. Still an idea in my head since I know a guy that is selling a king meat band saw. the saw is crap but it has the grinder, motor, belts and pullies i could salvage and build a sweet dedicated meat eating machine. not sure I want to go through the work though. I have lots to do already converting my hobby barn to a kitchen.

Yeah there's a bunch of different meat grinding contraptions out there in the world. Have seen pics of some of the belt driven gizmos. Guess they work ok for the Mr. Fixit types who like to putter in the barn. On the multi purpose machine the only way I would try to critique is in comparison with the KA and grinder attachment. Anywhere it looked even remotely similar I would immediately delete it from the short list. I would start with one of my opening nag sessions on the mixer..which is how far is the place where the meat comes out from the counter? The KA is way to high up in the air. Makes it nearly impossbile for a lone operator to use it..less they have 3 hands. Takes one hand to feed the meat..one on the stomper and somebody to help hold the catching bowl up in the air. My blood pressure is rising..lol. Also get you a nifty foot operated on and off switch. That was my next step before deciding the sausage hobby was way too manuel labor intensive for lazy old fat boys who sweat a lot. lol

Last edited:
Spew alert!
"...way too manuel labor intensive for lazy old fat boys who sweat a lot. lol"

Whew, I can sure relate to that - lol

Cabelas commercial grade grinder. I'm looking at the 3/4hp

LEM 3/4hp
LEM .35hp grinder

I'm a prime member thanks to the wife being a teacher so free shipping is a bonus but Cabelas has a free shipping offer out now also.

The foot pedal is on my short list of things to buy for the new Kitchen Barn.

I just dont like spending my $$ more than once but also believe in over kill. I plan on making about 200lbs a year just for family and friends but am sure that might increase once friends of friends hear about the new kitchen.
I like working smarter not harder too ;)

Still working on my short list before I pull the trigger.

Looks good. That should work. Best read the fine print on the "super saver" free shipping deal on Amazon. It appeared to be a scam last time I tried to use it and they dont break the bad news till you give them the credit card info. You have to sign up for some kinda totally uneeded or unwanted service. I forget what it was right now but made me smell a big time rat. Unless persuaded otherwise I would trust Cabelas more than Amazon on really giving free shipping on that heavy biotch..lol.

Woops..thanks Max. We have always had excellent service. Guess they must give preferential treatment for residents of God's Country maybe. Cant blame them on that of course. Dont make me show you may official Cabelas Tshirt..Crockodile Dundee wax hat or half the other man toys around here. Going off to burn my official Cabelas gold onyx Visor credit card as we speak..lol. Cute little lady grand child Bambi Slayer up in Arkieville was mighty glad to get her super duper high dollar Cabelas rifle scope on her recent birthday. Got it firmly attached to her Mossenberg 7mm O8. What is a Mossenberg? That a throwdown weapon? Now do admire that caliber. Supposed to be the most versatile there is..least when I quit keeping track of such exotic factoids. Tell us how they abused ya. I have stroke over there. Heads will roll on this deal.

Last edited:
Owe ma lord, that is some funny shiit right there BW!!!

I've been a prime member (free shipping) with amazon for years, never had a problem - famous last words right?

My MB electic purchase two years ago came free ship, with a coupon and a discount. paid 100 bucks for it and shipped free on the house for nothin'. the wifes a teacher and gets a discount on the prime deal ta boot.

I'm also a bit of a tech dweeb and love the free streaming movies and Kindle free book loaner program that comes with the prime gig.
NO, I dont make anything saying all this, I do however free doorknob screw and a visit from Bob villa if I can get 470,000 of you people to sign up for it.

My preferance on caliber? thanks for asking.
7mm and my 50 cal Sharps
that is all I have to say about tha'at

Pulled the trigger on the LEM 3/4hp as well as some snack casings, 32mm casings, some butchers twine, extra ss cutting blade, and an HDMI cable - lol

also ordered some spices, Cure 1, special binder, dextrose, and more casings from Butcher & Packer.

already have a vertical stuffer on the way

have 100lbs of loin and butts in the freezer

whew, I'm bushed and broke

Well sounds like you fixing to be in the sausage meister bizness real soonish. Congrats. Now since your Little Bride is a school teacher..you got a built in clientele to peddle sausage to her school pals. Smart thinking.

Like the way you think there BW ;)

I knew a Bigwheel here local to me. His nick name came from the wheelchair he was bound to. Hellava guy. Handy with a saw and a hammer too.

Well sounds like a noble fella in the chair. Admire folks highly who bear their Cross with pride and dignity. Actually my nic come as a word play on the last name of Wheeler. .then it progressed to Wheel at some point..some even call my cuz by the same last name as Whee. Not sure whut was up with that but he always been an odd fella. He is the one who is six months younger than me. His Mama and Daddy bought him books and sent him to school. Yep all he did was chew on the book covers. Then the nic thing went through the Wheeler Dealer phase for a while..then since I turned out to be a big dumb fat lineman on the football team back in the good old days..my Daddy was expeting a quarterback type kid for some reason..it morphed into Big Wheel..then since I take a lot of pride in my humilty..I decided to drop it to a small b and combine the syllables..wheew. lol. Thanks for axing about all that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom