1st Kielbasa Kook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bubba

Executive Chef
My first real attempt at making polish sausage(ala Wittdog recipe). Got my Christmas present early, a grinder from the sausage factory, along with John Penn's sausage stuffer...oh wait, MY sausage stuffer that I bought from Wittdog this past summer at Franklin comp. Anyways, so far it's been pretty uneventful as I just started to hit it with some cherry smoke and will up to 152-154 and then a nice cool bath down to 110 and then blooming. I've been using the upright in my Klose mobile for this and it's actually been running pretty good. It's tough to get the upright temp up without playing with the plates...which I don't want to do at this point. Here's some pics...starting to get some nice color.

Looks good Bubba looks like you have a nice fat to meat ratio in the meat..and the casings look like they were stuffed well. Bubba internal temp of sausge 152* cooking temp at 165*

Looks good Uncle. Now Witt..aint you the one who delivered a stern lecture on here a few months back on the necessity of bringing sausage up to 160? Maybe it was somebody else. Is you the guilty party? If so whut got us off the 160 deal. I also dont understand this blooming stuff. Only time I have ever seen whut I would call on bloom is when you get the cure in it and let it set overnight in the ice box it turns it nice n pink. Would somebody kindly explain this second bloom phase. Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Looks good Uncle. Now Witt..aint you the one who delivered a stern lecture on here a few months back on the necessity of bringing sausage up to 160? Maybe it was somebody else. Is you the guilty party? If so whut got us off the 160 deal. I also dont understand this blooming stuff. Only time I have ever seen whut I would call on bloom is when you get the cure in it and let it set overnight in the ice box it turns it nice n pink. Would somebody kindly explain this second bloom phase. Thanks.

bigwheel
Not me I bring mine up to 152

Ok guess it was some other guilty person spouting the 160 stuff. I was taught to pull it at 153 which is about as close to 152 as a person can get. Aint never been quite precise enough prcise to cook at eggxactly 165. At one time I was getting purty good on how to maintain 175 or so. Surely I could duplicate that feat if a notion was ever tooken again. Us seasonsed citizens just dont have the energy level of you young buck and buckettes. Actually went a few years just trying to keep it below 200 and everything also seem to come purty good. That back when I was smoking in the upright based on a real small fire in the offset firebox.

bigwheel

wittdog said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel
Not me I bring mine up to 152

bigwheel said:

Big wheel, tho I'm no pro I can tell ya about the blooming.

blooming=

After cold showering or submerging in ice water bath, the sausage should hang and remain at room temperature until it blooms to the desired dark color. This typically takes 3-5 hours.
I have always done it that way , I swear by the Sausage Maker book(bible) that is where I get my info. Cooking temp 165 internal temp 154 works for me :)

Ok guess I will add that last hang step if I ever get up enough energy to make some. Thanks.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom