Smokin in Omaha - Page 3 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #21
Official BBQ Central Mark

For sweat shirt and or rainey weather I put a big galvanized washtub upside down over the top. When it gets real nasty I use a 55 gal barrel..allowing the bottom of the barrel to rest on about three bricks so it can still draw some air for the fire.

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #22
BBQ Central Pro

Good Idea, thanks!

boozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #23
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
For sweat shirt and or rainey weather I put a big galvanized washtub upside down over the top. When it gets real nasty I use a 55 gal barrel..allowing the bottom of the barrel to rest on about three bricks so it can still draw some air for the fire.
I didn't realize this right away, but it turns out there may be some difference between "Nebraska sweatshirt weather" and "Texas sweatshirt weather". Insulation or not, at -5f the brinkmann isn't cooking anything but cheese and jerky and fish.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #24

Have reached the conclusion that wind seems to be as big if not bigger factor on the productive operation of R2D2 water smokers..and most other uninsulated smoking gizmos.. than are temps. See pics of Griff cooking on his WSM in 10 foot snowdrifts on both sides of the aisle up in Moosejaw, Alaska and it seems to work just fine. The drifts apparently make a good wind break. Now cold rain is the pits.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #25
BBQ Central Pro

I think it's because it's electric, only gets so hot. My Brother And I always use a trashcan smoker when we are ice fishing. (UTCS?) Anyways, no problem keeping it hot, even though you gotta take the lid off and the grate out to load wood in. I think a WSM can cook just fine in the winter, just needs more fuel. An electric, not so much, though I did try your trick putting a barrel over it, gets the job done on a cool, windy, or rainy day. But when it's brutal-ass cold outside, I just can't get it above 175.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #26

It cant break 175 with a 55 gallon barrel dunked down over the top? Never woulda thunk it..gasp. Thats a regular old Brinkmann Elec? Aint any weather in Texas can defeat old sparky when he gets hunkered down inside his nice barrel..and normally only needed in real cold and rainy nasty weather. You can buy a controller for those things which allow you to play it like a fiddle if you want. Can make it go up way high depending on circuit tolerance of course. I plug mine into a little 15 amp loop and seems to do ok. Yall have crazy weather..lol
Old 12-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #27
BBQ Central Pro

Brother, this ain't Texas, It's not weather fit for man nor beast out there. Or electric smokers.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #28

Ok..well throw a blanket over the barrel.