Ready for the next step - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
BBQ NOOB

Ready for the next step

Hi All,

Nice site. My name is John and live just outside of Boston, MA. I have been cooking steaks on my little webber my smokey joe for a long time, using some of the nice searing techniques I have read about, coals on one side for zone heating etc. I go fishing for blues and stripers in the summer and love bringing home those magnificent fish for the grill. I will also start trout fishing soon in April and smoke those as well. Whether fish or red meat, I love nothing more than knocking back some good ale while bbqing, particularly after fishing, and enjoying New England Summers (although make no mistake I will grill in the dead of Winter). Other than good health and family, I want nothing more out of life.

It is amazing what one can do with a simple little Smokey Joe.
But being on the small side, I decided I wanted to buy a bigger charcoal grill so I could cook for guests without needing my rusty old gas grill.

At first I thought I'd just get one of the larger Webber grills. But I decided to explore a little. After much pondering I decided to buy splurge and buy a Chargriller Kamado-style Akorn.

I bought it for versatility and my desire to maintain temperatures for long periods without too much fiddling with vents and coals. From what I read on various web sites this grill can give me a long slow cook without too much fuss.

One drawback is that it is no good for zone heating as is. The way these Kamado grills funnel deep toward the bottom, I don't think you can sear a steak like you can with a Webber or grill it on a cooler heat zone on the side. For this reason, I was not going to buy this grill. Then I came across a video of some fellow dropping a webber grill grate in the center of the AKorn (where the pizza stone would go). I realized I could put coals on that for steaks and sear that way. What a simple mod.

So I think I am going to get great versatilty with this grill. I can smoke fish and meats in it with the coals down low. Or I could throw in the center grate and add the coals at that mid section and sear steaks (although I wonder how all that space underneath the coals could impact temperature. Still, I dont expect a problem for steaks here).

But I did not buy this grill to cook steaks and fish alone. I could do that with any of those wonderful Webbers. I am ready to step up and cook whole chickens, various cuts of pork and beef, meatloafs with those beautiful smoke rings, and all the other wonderful items you all discuss here. So I am excited to step up my game a bit, and get all the pointers I can from you grill masters. And yes. I bought a digital thermostat: The Maverick E732.

This is gonna be great!

curranjohn46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Howdy. Welcome. Old cyber chum from way back named Jeff Lippshcitz (sic) aka The Boston Butt..lives up there. You ever hear of him?

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Saint O'Que

Howdy and welcome. Get a 22 in Weber Kettle good for smaller cooks for the imediate family. Then get ya a 27 in kettle for when friends are over. You can cook your meats roasts etc on the big one and have the little one (22in) for corn and appatizers etc. Then get a Ranch Kettle for those big events. I feel it's a wast of money to buy any other grill. A kettle cooks the best around!
Tri Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
BBQ NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
Howdy. Welcome. Old cyber chum from way back named Jeff Lippshcitz (sic) aka The Boston Butt..lives up there. You ever hear of him?

I dont know him. But thanks for the welcome.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
BBQ NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri Tip View Post
Howdy and welcome. Get a 22 in Weber Kettle good for smaller cooks for the imediate family. Then get ya a 27 in kettle for when friends are over. You can cook your meats roasts etc on the big one and have the little one (22in) for corn and appatizers etc. Then get a Ranch Kettle for those big events. I feel it's a wast of money to buy any other grill. A kettle cooks the best around!
I love my little smokey Joe but I already bought the Akorn. I hope I did not make a mistake. But too late. Anyways people seem to love them for low/slow cooks without too much attention. I would like that so I can experimatent with cooking while I am in the house working (I work from home) and not have to fuss with it too much during the day. We will see how it goes. Maybe the webber could have done the same. I dont know.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Saint O'Que

Welcome to the forum.
I think you have that acorn figured out. Keep that Smokey Joe 'cuz it's a great cooking machine and it'll last forever. It's also always good to have additional cooking space.

BOB
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #7

Welcome to the jungle!