Nice to be back -- Updated and X-Rated - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Smoker

Nice to be back -- Updated and X-Rated

I've been away from BBQ posting for awhile. Still 'cuing and doing lots of other cooking. But have been doing some other food and knife writing -- which I've come to take semi-seriously.

After buying a couple of new pits and started climbing their learning curves, it came to me that not only do I not know as much as I thought I did, I missed you guys. Does that make me stupid or smart?

Enough about me, here's the Klose:

With the ability to raise the cooking grate so high over the fire, it's more than an ordinary grill -- it's an open pit as well. I like it for "California barbecue," what some people call "Santa Maria style." Besides, there's nothing ordinary about doing your grilling over fireplace sized (always oak) logs.

I do most of my "low and slow" on my BWS Fatboy which, as most of you know, is not only not open, it's about as tight as a pit can be. You and it deserve a better picture than the one I have. Besides, seen one Fatboy, seen 'em all.

BDL

Klose Steak Grill with Swing Set
Backwoods Fatboy with DigiQ II
Other Stuff
boar_d_laze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: Nice to be back

Welcome back. Groceries look outstanding. My old pal Dave Klose do not make no junk Nurse..Medic..Corpsman!

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Smoker

Re: Nice to be back

Thought maybe it was time to revisit the introduction thread and provide some more information. I guess my questions about getting the optimum from my new pits makes me seem like a noob. But as the saying goes, this ain't my first barbecue.

I got serious about 'q in the mid seventies, worked on the line in a couple of top Bay Area kitchens, and learned 'q by "helping out" Willie Walker in Emeryville. In the late seventies I put some of what I'd learned from Willie to good use for my own catering company in Los Angeles, "Predominantly French." When I got real work, I shut the company down, but didn't stop smoking.

I met some guys through the studios (was a grip for a few years) and helped on a couple of teams when KCBS comps first started up in California.

Bought my first NBBD/Hondo in '78 and continued smoking with one small, charcoal-fired offset or another until I bought a Bar B Chef Offset (another small offset) but used an Afterburner H for heat.

I've done a LOT of grilling, too. Started with a PKC, had a Weber Kettle for a while, moved up to a CB 404, back to a Weber, another 404, added a gasser, and a kabobinator, then lost all those in a move to an apartment; and when we finally ended up somewhere with a backyard, bought a Bar B Chef Texas Grill (same time I bought the Bar B Chef offset).

All those grills and smokers were pretty good. Cooking with fire outdoors! What could be wrong with that?

Big grills with swing sets were common where and when I grew up; and I always wanted one. So, this year I bought what a lot of you guys would call a "Santa Maria style" Klose. If you have any self-regard you want get me started on why it isn't "Santa Maria style" at all.

And I got tired of dealing with the limitations, kludges and tweaks of a small offset, not to mention blowing myself up periodically trying to re-light the Afterburner when it blew out. So I got the Fatboy. A lot of great things to be said about BWS cookers in general and the Fat in particular; but for here and now let's limit it to the fact that a few people I really dislike make a big deal out of Stumps and Langs.

Some of the finer points of cooking 'q can be very equipment specific, and I want as much help as I can get making the adjustments. Not only that, but I'm open to any techniques, accessories, and ideas.

But...

[This is going to be a little tricky, I don't want to be offensive or seem like I think I know more than I do... But... BUT...]

Even if I'm new to the rigs, I've been doing this for more than thirty years -- some as a pro. I'm no virgin (especially when it comes to mistakes). If my questions sound stupid, it's only because I am stupid and not because I never lit a match.

You may choose to file this post under, "Apparently you don't know who I think I am." But at least it's off my hairy, grey chest.

BDL

Other Stuff
Old 08-13-2011, 12:57 AM   #4

Re: Nice to be back -- Updated and X-Rated

Huh? Could you kindly give us the Readers Digest brief synopsis of the issues at hand? I have kilt a lot brain cells over the years and cant follow voluminous material except in the out put mode. Your mighty special thanks.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Rag
BBQ Centralite

Welcome back and looking forward to your sharing your great secrets on sauces, seasonings and techniques.
I'm always amazed that the Calif state still allows you to make smoke in the backyard.
WSM 22.5
Meadow Creek TS250 (sold)
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Smoker

All depends on what you're smoking.

BDL

Other Stuff
Old 08-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #7

Lol thats a good one. Works the same way in Tejas. As long as a person is smoking a chunk of a poor old innocent cow..pig..chicken etc. everything is usually ok. Now there are exceptions to this. I have an old chum with a giant offset made out of a big former butane tank which each time he fire it up somebody call the slab savers who would rush over tooting their syringes thinking his house was on fire. When they seen it was a load of briskets and he promise them a free sandwich everything was peachy. Now if somebody get a slight whiff of killer weed smoke the alleged perp gets a trip to the cross bar hotel.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Smoker

In California it's the other way around. Go figure.

BDL

Other Stuff
Old 08-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #9

Wow..its amazing. Yall must not allow any Church of Christ Folks to migrate out there. I heard its mostly Okies. They get the mattresses blown off the top of their cars etc. Now is this hot or warm?
Old 08-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
BBQ NOOB

Welcome back. I'm new but have enjoyed the BBQ Central so far.

Smoke Us Out!
Old Timer Rubs is offline   Reply With Quote