newbie from kcmo - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
BBQ NOOB

newbie from kcmo

hello. just getting started in this. i am starting of slow. just purchased a brinkman bullet smoker. going to try to perfect chicken and fish and them move on from there. would appreciate any direction on how to keep the temperature where it needs to be. i can get it going and where i want it, but have a hard time maintaining the appropriate heat. i am sure this is discussed on the forum somewhere, just haven't looked. any direction would be appreciated. thanks

dpenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: newbie from kcmo

Welcome Sir..glad you made your way over here. The Brinkmann cookers are great. They just need a little help in getting some air to the bottom side of the fire. Start out with a drill bit up to and including 3/8 to 1/2" and start poking some holes in the bottom to low sides of the firepan till you get enough total opening to equal about the size of a fifty cent piece. That is how they made them back in the good old days but it had just one big hole in the bottom. Some dumb yup burned down his deck and apt complex when a lit coal fell out of the hole. So now they make them unholy and impossible to get enough air to the fire. Si si? They are like an M1 Garand Rifle in the world of bbq. Best battle instrument ever devised etc. According to Uncle George Wheeler Patton anyway.

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
BBQ NOOB

yes welcome to Dilberts world of the pointy hair bosses. ask all the questions, you need just remember there are no dumb questions. look and listen and ask away. you will gain more information than any pointy haired boss. this was my first cook on my new pellet popper treager elite [attachment=0:1915lkt1]012.JPG[/attachment:1915lkt1]
Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #4

Welcome Dpenrod, sounds like BW has you tuning up that Brinkman, looking forward to your posts.
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Saint O'Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Welcome Sir..glad you made your way over here. The Brinkmann cookers are great. They just need a little help in getting some air to the bottom side of the fire. Start out with a drill bit up to and including 3/8 to 1/2" and start poking some holes in the bottom to low sides of the firepan till you get enough total opening to equal about the size of a fifty cent piece. That is how they made them back in the good old days but it had just one big hole in the bottom. Some dumb yup burned down his deck and apt complex when a lit coal fell out of the hole. So now they make them unholy and impossible to get enough air to the fire. Si si? They are like an M1 Garand Rifle in the world of bbq. Best battle instrument ever devised etc. According to Uncle George Wheeler Patton anyway.
The man talks kinda funny, but he knows how to make a ECB work right. Listen to him. We'll translate if necessary for any Yankeeeees out there.

BOB
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
BBQ NOOB

thanks guys. will get to work on the smoker this weekend. sounds like a simple fix. did my first batch of chicken thighs on wed. and they turned out great if i do say so myself. will try not to become a nuisance, but i am sure i will have many more questions. thanks again.
dpenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Saint O'Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenrod
thanks guys. will get to work on the smoker this weekend. sounds like a simple fix. did my first batch of chicken thighs on wed. and they turned out great if i do say so myself. will try not to become a nuisance, but i am sure i will have many more questions. thanks again.
Huh? Questions are what the forum is for! The only dumb question is the one you DIDN'T ask...

BOB

Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote