New from PA - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
BBQ NOOB

New from PA

Hi to all! My husband, Mike and I are new to the group and looking to get some insight, ideas and build on what skills we already have. Up until last week we had an electric smoker that was used hard and Mike learned a lot using it. Last week we got a Brinkmann trailmaster smoker, that he is currently making some modifications to and can't wait to start using it.

Recently we've begun researching and experimenting with different rubs, methods etc... with the goal of starting a business of sorts, selling bbq at events, festivals and fairs. We know there's a lot for us to learn and if anyone has any suggestions or pointers we are all ears. Especially anyone else in PA who knows some of the ins and outs of local stuff.

Looking forward to learning lots here!

-Samantha

dickcory1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #2

Welcome Samantha, loads of great folks here, good to have you on board.

• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
Graduate of BBQ Central

Welcome to the site good stuff and people here

Retired Professional photographer...
26 years specializing in food and food styling.
Bosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Hey Samantha hearty welcome over here. Prob not much bbq up there in PA so that might just be a good business to be in. Think you will find the folks here glad to be helpful.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
BBQ Central Pro

Welcome here, folks! I have a pretty successful mobile bbq business and I couldn't have done it without this forum. A lot of good info and good people here. Any questions you have feel free to ask! And post pictures! We love food pics!
boozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Max
Wizard of Que

Don't mod it, I have the same exact smoker. You will soon find out that it is a fuel hog, don't worry most offsets are. I was going to modify mine too. Before changing anything around, make sure you cook on it as plain Jane... It will give you a better idea on what needs some fixing. For the most part I am going into the 4th season of having mine, and the only thing I have done, is add some bricks to the bottom, to help retain heat. Well that and paint it every year. Try smoking on it with out doing anything to it first, best wisdom I can give you for that. Learn how it works before you chop it up.
Weber One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Jumbo Joe 18"
Weber Smokey Joe Gold 14"
Fully Functional UDS 22.5" Dual Layer
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:56 AM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark

I would also add..try using the rub recipes in the Smoke and Spice book..particularly Wild Willys for Brisket and Southern Succor for butt or picnics. You can find the recipes all over Alfgores cyber highway or everybody has them saved from somewhere. Havent found one just outstanding for ribs but the other two are good enough for most purposes. For storebought rubs..Headcountry is my favorite. Its good on anything..even sprinkled into budweiser and bloody marys. For Sauce Texas Rib Rangers Spicy is the ticket for a rib glaze sweetened up a bit with honey or maple syrup. Headcountry Regular Sauce is for chicken and a good keep moist sauce for pushed pork..thined out with apple juice..vinegar..and sour mash hooch. Ezra Brooks is best for that. Keep us posted.

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote