looking to cater in md. - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
BBQ NOOB

looking to cater in md.

New to catering ....would like ideas on how to begin and what to serve along with any other ideas that would be helpful to.me.......thanks

ThePickledPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Give em the best of what they want to eat and charge the snot out of em. That is a tip a catering lady gave me one time.

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #3

Welcome to The Forum ThePickledPig, I'm sure there will be some tip and tricks posted beyond those offered by BW, his do sound like good advice
KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
BBQ NOOB

Sounds good to me...ha
Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
BBQ Central Pro

I've catered a couple of weddings and a few other parties, not really professionally, but for freinds relatives. A couple of problems that I ran into: smoker(s) size vs party size. If there's 100 guests, and you can only fit 10 racks of ribs, it better be an anorexia anonymous party. Pulled pork sandwiches, sliced brisket flat (sliced on demand), sausages, are good choices, IMO. Filling, (anything with bread is good gets em full, bread is cheap) fun to eat and easy to cook a lot with limited space.
Another thing is sides, tater salad, cole slaw, beans, or whatnot. Keep them simple and traditional. Most folks have no taste, just because you like it doesn't mean everyone will. One couple at a party told my brother "we love your cole slaw, its actually even better than KFC's!" A dubious compliment, that. We'll take it though! Good luck, and welcome to this fun forum!
boozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
BBQ NOOB

Makes sense to me....thanks Booker
Old 08-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark

Booker? Thats boozer. lol. Dispensing great advice too. That is a high compliment on the KFC cole slaw. I love that stuff.

Sounds we have sorta similar backgrounds on getting into just enough catering to be dangerous..lol.

We did a turn key job for 300? once upon a time..know it was at least a thousand. Made a bunch of money and also worked my coola off to get it in the wallet.

Feel like I learned a few things from hanging out in places like this and actually doing it and getting tips from folks who make a living at it etc. Various sources a person might say.

Think the first question is are you out to make money or to cook bbq? If its the former you need to expand the horizons. If its the latter you can do that at home.

According to the nice lady who had been running an outlaw catering bizness out of her home kitchen for now the past 30 years or so..Got to give them what they want. If they wanted bbq she had it..which she cooked on a giant log burner in her backyard. All her stuff came to the scene hot and in Cambrios. She did not drag her cooking apparatus's around.

Get at least half the money up front..no exceptions.

Folks come to bbq get togethers to eat meat. Not crappy sides from Sams. Pushed pork sandwiches..rope sausage..tater chips and sweet beans is what is on the menu.

Watermelon and cookies from the day old bread store for dessert. There ya go.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
DJ
BBQ Central Pro

We're open between June and the end of September and average about 25 gigs in that time frame....we open on week-ends 11:00 - 4:00 if not catering.....We'll be open the 24th & 25th this month (is our last week-end) and will cater two week days and every other week-end between now and Oct 5....next year will probably just cater.....Good Luck and check our website...

www.djstexasstylebbq.com
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote