Long time BBQ fan jumping into the deep end - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
BBQ NOOB

Long time BBQ fan jumping into the deep end

Just wanted to say hi to you pros. Hope it's not too long but here is my introduction. Thanks for reading.

Before i get into the smokey meat of my journey I want to give a little background on how my life changed dramatically. About a month or so ago I had a mental breakdown. For many years I had a very low mental quality of life. I would self medicate with beer, 12 to 15 in a night. I would get sloppy drunk and all my mental problems would come to a head. To keep a long post short i had the worst breakdown ever. I almost lost my family and woke up. I went to see a psychiatrist and come to find out I'm Bipolar. I was diagnosed and prescribed Lamictal and life saving Antibuse. Because the meds brought clarity and focus to my life I started thinking clearly. Things that should have been priorities before started to be obsessions of mine. Family was #1 again, then work. I still have problems when my day is not filled with activities. I get bored and remember how fun it was to party. I needed a hobby. I've always loved to cook and have a very reputable pallet. I've researched and experienced spices and regional differences in food. I've also been a BBQ connesuer for over 20 years. so I decided to meld the two passions into one. I now had a hobby to fill my free time. I'm no where near ready for a product career but I do have a dream to one day market my own line of BBQ sauces, rubs, and relishes. Oh and put Colorado on the BBQ map!

KLSfounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: Long time BBQ fan jumping into the deep end

Hey Founder welcome. Always glad to see folks from Texas's most NW County pop in here. Now hope yall dont cook with Pine like them looney folks from the NE Counties. Where do you stand on Grits?

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Hey Founder welcome. Always glad to see folks from Texas's most NW County pop in here. Now hope yall dont cook with Pine like them looney folks from the NE Counties. Where do you stand on Grits?
What are Grits? Welcome KLSfounder, good to have you here, loads of good folks and all willing to give you a hand. We do all like pictures, rule is no picture, no cook.
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Pork Butt

Long time BBQ fan jumping into the deep end

Welcome KLS. A great place to share and learn! Glad you have gotten on track! Smoking is the most therapeutic thing you can do. Enjoy and stay engaged.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
BBQ NOOB

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome. You would be surprised how big BBQ is getting here in Colorful Colorado. My drive is what is going to get me far but im going to use you fine folks to get me the knowledge i cant figure out on my own. Baby steps and I will get there. I'm really looking foward to maybe some of the pros giving me some tips on getting my product out there and seen and tasted. I actually just finished 2 sauces from my bases I created and they are creating quite a buzz with my tasters. Cant wait to make friends with you all and get some work done. Thanks again!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #6

Now dont let us be discriminatory on the taster selection. Some of us on here have highly attuned taste buds. For example I normally charge twenty bucks for a Scientifical Taste Aanalysis..but since you seem like a nice fellow and new to BBQ Central..I will temporarily waive the fee for a few samples. Now I cant do it forever of course. Let me know when you ready for my snail mail addy so you can start getting the test specimens n root. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #7

Welcome to the jungle! Hope things keep working out for you.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
BBQ NOOB

Haha great meeting you all...seems like a great group of people...now back to work
Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #9

Hey ya know since I been thinking on this old Suckle Busters did not go up through the ranks. It can be done apparently. Enter the sauce at the yankee deal in KC..if it hits your a multi brazilianaire. Least all the up North folks liable to buy some.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
BBQ NOOB

hello KLSFounder, as the bigwheel said, stay in there, and we'll sample all you cook. Good to hear from you. and I have been through exactly what you described, in your life story, I had to go through the 12 steps, only I lost my family because of my own stupidity. But we work through it, I was diagnosed with deep clinical depression, I always laugh at my Phys. he said its not called a mental breakdown anymore, its called a physicotic eppisode. Not making light of the subject believe me. been there done that hell even got the T-Shirt to prove it. Nice to meet you and keep em smoking.

Randy thereeper