Hi everybody. New here from new york. - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
BBQ NOOB

Hi everybody. New here from new york.

Hiya. i'm new to the bbq forum. Been smoking about 3 years. Found my barrel smoker in the trash if you can believe it. All rusty and neglected, it needed someone to take it home and give it some love. Now, it gives us love. Rich people have good garbage! Everything that comes out of the cooker is outstanding. Porky shoulders, ribs, sausages, beef roasts,chicken, turkeys... Just picked up a 20 pound fresh ham because the price was right. $.99 a pound! Haven't done a ham yet, should be interesting. If any of ya'll have any tips offhand for a first time ham smoker, to brine or not to brine, cooking time for a 20 pounder, remove the skin or not, etc... they'd be much appreciated. Thanks and good to meet you! --amanda

Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #2

Re: Hi everybody. New here from new york.

Welcome to the jungle! Where abouts are you in NY?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #3

Welcome Bucknasty, can't offer help on the ham, but I'm betting Wittdog will weigh in soon, he is the man on hams ... and a number of other meats. Any pictures of the rescued barrel or any of those cooks.
KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Welcome aboard...it wont be long till us New Yorkers are the majority here...then we can swing the vote ! We love pics !
john pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Saint O'Que

Welcome to the camp.

I found my first smoker in the trash, too. Be very careful, this obsession (smoking meat) can be addictive.

On the ham, unless Wittdog says different, I'd remove at least about half of the skin so that the smoke and any seasonings that you use can get to the meat. I've never brined or cured a fresh ham, I just cook them like you would a butt or a shoulder. It's good and the texture of the meat is different from the butt.

BOB
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark

Hey Buck welcome. Cook it about 3 hours then skin and re rub the wet spot. Thats how I do so it must be right. Keep cooking both till the skin crisps up so you have some munching material. Get the ham to internal of 190-195. That should make it soft but still sliceable. Glaze it if you want. Give it plenty of smoke. Start at around 220 and gradually raise the temp to 240-250. Best of fortunes.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
Saint O'Que

Welcome!
Tri Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #8
BBQ NOOB

Lets see...in order of questions asked...Westchester County, NY. Next, I do have photos of the rescue barrel and also some of the goodies therein, need to figure out how to post them. Advice with that would help too! And Bob in fl. I found out early on that I am in fact addicted and my aspirations have outgrown my current smoker already,,, My name is Amanda and I have a problem.... And Saint O'Que thank you and you couldn't be more right about the happiness of a beer in one hand and a spatula in the other. That's just great. Bigwheel, love the tag by the way, reminds me of the awesome days of carefree happiness...do you brine it first? Inject it with the flavorings? Thank you everybody for being so welcoming. --amanda
Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
BBQ NOOB

Think my messages got screwed up... Tri Tip! Thank you for the quote and the welcome, my apologies. And bigwheel... thank you for re-affirming my initial .... "oh crap, I bit off more than I and my friends can chew..." ,,I need to fall back on my experience with the shoulders...That was the original plan as I had nothing else. But, it seems a good idea to stick with what works. I find my best rhythm with the temp. between 220 and 275. 14 pound shoulders go for 14 or so hours...ribs, 6-8, depending on thickness. When I do sausages, I use plain mild Italian sausages. Stick 'em in the cooker and let 'em sit in the smoke for 2 or 3 hours. When they are done, internal temp. of 180 degrees or so, let them rest for 15 or 20 minutes. Then, you may eat them and oh, my, word... When you bite into one, they are like Buttah! Rich, silky and buttery inside!