Hey everyone from Northern Illinois - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Baby Back

Hey everyone from Northern Illinois

Hey everyone building a big smoker/grill rig right now for my catering business looking for any helpful tips on how to get this things going the right way/legal. Looking foward to talkin BBQ with you all.

"No matter where we go or who's cooking, the best meals are always the ones shared with friends and family."
wascolianpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #2

Re: Hey everyone from Northern Illinois

Well the only rule here is .......................................... well there really aren't any rules, except you have to post pictures of the things you cook! Welcome to the jungle!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #3

Welcome, you might want to check in the "BBQ Pit Mods" section for thoughts and ideas.
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Hey Wasco...glad to make your acquaintance and hearty welcome.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Saint O'Que

Welcome. Some real nice folks on the cite! What Nick said we like picts.
Tri Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Baby Back

Thanks everyone feels like Im home haha and dont worry plenty of pics to follow

"No matter where we go or who's cooking, the best meals are always the ones shared with friends and family."
Old 01-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #7

Hey Wasco..guessing you are building this smoker/grill combo for trying to cook on site maybe? If so think it would be hard to do it legally..at least in this area. Most of the big boys and girls cook it at their health goon approved commercial commissary or restaurant and bring the goodies in Cambrios to the scene. I know some folks who drag out big grills and do burgers and dogs etc..but they aint legal by a long shot. Good thing with catering its an in and out proposition and dont know many who get caught. The few I have known who actually got busted came from calls to the Health Dept. by the competition. Had one old pal who got snagged cooking ribs out behind a beer joint..the fella who turned him in had the rib cooking gig previously. The health goon checked to make sure he was being sanitary..had bleach water etc. and told him to come get a permit next time. Was not a real earth shattering event.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Baby Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Hey Wasco..guessing you are building this smoker/grill combo for trying to cook on site maybe?
Yeah, I'm looking to do some cooking on site with things like steaks,burgers,chicken, whole hog and what not. But, things like the pork,brisket,sides and salad I will try to do a head of time as to save time when I arrive at a customers home/business. What would be my best bet to get all the info I need to make this as legal as possible? Go to my local heath department office? Thats the only real thing I can think of.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #9

Well depends on where you live. If it a small town you could prob cook live humans and nobody would care too much. If you in a place like the Metro Mess where I live they can be picky. There is all kinds of ways to side step the issues. I would leave sleeping dawgs lie on the contacting the health goon issue. That is a good way to get them hot on the trail. I would do what I wanted and see how long you can go. Maybe put ten percent into a slush fund to pay tickets..lawyers..death claims blah blah blah..if the need should arise. If you are real nervous you can start passing yourself off a personal Chef. Get a signed rental agreement between your MIL (who owns the pit of course) and the customer to rent your pit for so long. Say if you get half the money up front which is the best plan ever invented for catering..you go buy the meat using the customers money..so it is his and/or her food..then you tack on labor charge for cooking it..serving the sides etc. Simple huh?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Baby Back

Well, I don't think I'll be cooking any live human any time soon LOL. I kind of live in the middle of the so called merto mess and the middle of no where so thats why I'm a little unsure which direction to head. But, the actually pit is going to be mine once myself and my buddy are done building it. So would renting it out still be the best option? I already do some private parties for companies on my commericial size grill and have had no problems. You think I could get away with it on the smoker as well? I mean I live up in Northwest Illinois about an hour and a half from Chicago.