Hello from Stephenville, Texas - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
Pork Butt

Hello from Stephenville, Texas

It's nice to see so many from Texas on here!

My name is Allison and my husband is David. We are both in our late 20s and enjoy camping. No kids, but we do have 5 cats and 3 dogs (a boxer, a lab, and a beagle), so we are definately not lonely.

We have been smoking briskets in the backyard for a few years now, but recently decided we wanted something portable. That lead into the construction of a trailer mounted smoker that we are still working on. In another thread, I explained more about that.

http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f...about4416.html

Our favorite thing to cook is a brisket. We probably don't do it the 'correct' way, but we (and everyone else we have ever served it to which included about 200 people at my sister's wedding) like it this way.

We normally put a rub on the brisket and then put it fat side up in a roasting pan. (Occasionally we will marinade over night.) We cover it loosely with foil most of the time. About every hour, we will baste it with its own juices and after a few hours, we pour a beer on it. We normally cook ours for 12-20 hours and try to keep the temp between 225 and 250 degrees.

Now that we have room to cook several briskets at the same time, I may experiment with rub vs. marinade and foil vs. no foil.

Looking forward to learning a lot!
Allison

Check out my pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/allison_andrews
allisonandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #2

Welcome aboard Allison! Around here there is no right or wrong way to do a cook. You do what works for you and thats all that matters. The only problem you will have here is asking Larry to foil his birds!

Old 04-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Pork Butt

LOL... well, from some of the sites I have been to, Foil is definately a 4-letter word depending on when it is used!!

Personally, I just don't like the 'crust' or whatever it is called that you get when you don't foil. I know a lot of people like this and even look for it. It's just a personal thing.

But, like I said, we might do a bit more experimentation with cooking methods this year. So far we just have one grate in the smoker (actually it is two pieces so that we can remove it, but just one level). It is 29" x 48" so that gives us almost 1400 square inches of cooking space. I think that is plenty to do up a couple of briskets.

Allison

Old 04-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonandrews
LOL... well, from some of the sites I have been to, Foil is definately a 4-letter word depending on when it is used!!

Personally, I just don't like the 'crust' or whatever it is called that you get when you don't foil. I know a lot of people like this and even look for it. It's just a personal thing.

But, like I said, we might do a bit more experimentation with cooking methods this year. So far we just have one grate in the smoker (actually it is two pieces so that we can remove it, but just one level). It is 29" x 48" so that gives us almost 1400 square inches of cooking space. I think that is plenty to do up a couple of briskets.

Allison
Welcome...
"Bark"
Yep, all but 8 sq in.

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Pork Butt

Thank you.

Bark.

That does sound right.

On the cooking area, we are still trying to decide if we want to add a second shelf and have a top cooking area or not. We really have plenty of room for the two of us with just the one level, but it might be nice to add another few hundred inches... Maybe end up with around 2000 square inches in all.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
Saint O'Que

Welcome.

What size propane tank did you use? I went to a local gas company last Friday looking at their old tanks to maybe have an offset smoker built (with the help of a friend and my father-in-law.
cleglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark

Welcome, we love food pics, gotta' have em'
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Pork Butt

The tank is about 30 inches in diameter. We had about a 7' piece that had been cut off, but were told the original tank was around 20' long.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Pork Butt

I just started keep an online recipe collection. I got some of the recipes from my camping message board (rv.net) and the lady posted pictures of them with the recipe. I thought it was such a great idea.

Now, to continue the collection, everytime I try out a recipe or make one up, I am taking a picture or multiple pictures and saving them with the recipe.

I had not thought about taking pictures of my foods that I smoke, but it would be easy to do.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 04-04-2006, 11:11 AM   #10
Web Celeb

Welcome Allison...and congrats on being the 600th registered member!!

How did you hear about the forum!? :biggrin: