Hello from south Fl. Gonna need some help. - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
BBQ NOOB

Hello from south Fl. Gonna need some help.

Hello everyone been grilling for about 9 year now started with charcoal and then a nice propane grill and just recently got a smoker for Christmas. i can tell you now Im gonna need some help with the smoker. I fired it up this Sunday and me an my buddy could not get it to produce a good smoke for the life of us and we tried everything. what are some good tips and tricks.

Thanks for the help.

Brewski4u1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
BBQ NOOB

Welcome Brewski4u1! I'm also a S. Floridian and just joined today. I wish I had advice for you on your smoker, but if I come across any good advice I will send it your way! Good luck in your BBQ endeavors!

MiamiApryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
BBQ NOOB

^^^ Thank you !
Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Saint O'Que

Welcome to the madness we call BBQ

Need a little more information. What kind of a smoker did you get.

Also why do you say that you couldn't get it to produce "good" smoke? Around here, "good" smoke can just barely be seen, thin very light blue is perfect. You also say you tried "everything". What exactly did you try?

There are thousands of variables and between the bunch around here, I bet we can get you up and running, but we need some basic information.

Thanks,

BOB
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
BBQ NOOB

hello
as far as what we tried high heat low heat in btwn wet wood chips dry wood chips.no smoke box, chips in foil. lol everything we could think of . then my brother comes along who is a chef dumps the chips in foil rolls it up light one end on fire lets it burn for a few blows it out and the thing was smoking great but still not from the wood chip box. o we did also set the chips on fire a few times. i swear it smoked best when we shut it off lol. as for what kind i will post a link hope it works.

it wont let me post the link but its a Landmann Smoky Mountain Vertical Gas Smoker with Wide Chamber
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
BBQ NOOB

Landmann Smoky Mountain Vertical Gas Smoker with Wide Chamber: Grills & Outdoor Cooking : Walmart.com
Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Saint O'Que

OK, well I'll hae to pass here. I have no idea how you smoke anything with either gas or electricity. I use wood and wood products (charcoal, pellets, etc.) for my smoke and my heat source.

We do have a couple of peeps here that say that they can smoke foods with them sources of heat, but when I use gas or electric, I try to keep the smoke down 'cuz my kitchen fan just can't keep up.

BOB
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #8

Where does the woodbox sit? Was the wood burned up when you opened the box? Was it not charred at all? Help me out and I can help you out.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark

Making a regular old gasser cough up much smoke is a challenge. Tinfoil logs of chips stretched across the burners as your pal suggests works marginally somewhat. The way mine is constructed there aint no where to set a chip box. Holler if you figger out the ultimate solution. Thanks. Also welcome on over here.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
BBQ NOOB

the wood box sits right above the brass burner, the wood was charred once i put the fire out and then it just caught back on fire. once i hit 5 post i'll add some pics of said smoker as well as are food from are first run. this should be # 4