Hello from Moline, IL - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
BBQ NOOB

Hello from Moline, IL

Hello to all. Found a link to BBQ Central from the Amazing Ribs site while searching for some Smoked Turkey recipes. Just bought a house and am having family over for Easter for our first family get together. I haven't smoked a turkey yet for some reason. After 6 years of trial and error you would think I would have tried a Turkey! So I hope to get some good info for that right away.

Looks like an interesting site. Hope to learn lots and lots of cool things here.

I enjoy cooking but am in love with outdoor cooking. I currently smoke with a Chargriller Pro and a Webber Smokey Mountain.

Jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Cooker

Re: Hello from Moline, IL

welcome jbomb! hope to see some pics of your smoked turkey!

22.5 WSM, 22.5 Weber OTS, 22.5 Weber OTG
ChuckBBQSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Official BBQ Central Mark

Hey Jbomb welcome. I do turkeys a time or two a year on my little brinkmann water smoker. Start out by rubbing it down under and on top of the skin with Eyetalain dressing and a 50/50 combo of Chef Paul Purdhommes Poultry Magic and a good brand of Lemon Peppa. Lawrys..McCormicks etc. Let it set over night..hit it with the dry rub again the next morn. Take out the top rack of cooker and fill up the water pan and put a fire in the hole. When it gets up to temp (300-350) stick the bird down in there breastes side down and cook it till it checks 175 in the fat part of the thigh. Pull it wrap it in foil and stick in the insulated hot box for a few hours. Should be a grand prize winner. For flavoring woods I use Oak, Pee Can, Hickory or whutevers handy. Best of fortunes to ya.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #4

Welcome Jbomb, here is a place to go for a few more of the Turkey Basics. We'll be anxious to see some pictures of your cook.
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Wizard of Que

Like bigwheel said. You can't go wrong with his advise. However, don't expect the skin to be crispy. It's going to be a bit rubbery but the flavor of the meat will more than make up for it.

To get crispy skin, you'll need to cook it at a higher pit temperature (400 to 425) and not wrap it as bigwheel says. It's a different kind of cook. In fact, it's how I do chickens . . . hum, maybe it wouldn't work so good on a turkey. As I remember, the last time I tried it on a turkey the skin came out so dark it looked like a government issue stealth bomber. Maybe bigwheel has some advise here.
Weber Performer, black

http://chaneysgrills.com/index.html
Smokey Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark

Well I aint got no problemo with them who like to cook avians fast. In a ideal world their eyes still be blinking when they get to terminal temps. As with the Tandori oven type deals. Now will have to admit..for the thousandth time the best one I ever ate was done slow direct over januine S. Texas mesquite coals. Was mopped about once an hour with hot mop which be like the roadside chicken recipe with onyawns in it. Meaning oleo vinegar and water perhaps. Took nearly all dang day and a case of beer to cook it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Lew
Like bigwheel said. You can't go wrong with his advise. However, don't expect the skin to be crispy. It's going to be a bit rubbery but the flavor of the meat will more than make up for it.

To get crispy skin, you'll need to cook it at a higher pit temperature (400 to 425) and not wrap it as bigwheel says. It's a different kind of cook. In fact, it's how I do chickens . . . hum, maybe it wouldn't work so good on a turkey. As I remember, the last time I tried it on a turkey the skin came out so dark it looked like a government issue stealth bomber. Maybe bigwheel has some advise here.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #7

Welcome to the jungle!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
BBQ NOOB

welcome. I love smoked turkey and hope yours turned out yummy. Did you brine it?
Moose Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Wizard of Que

Welcome to the forum!

Find Us on Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/knoxspice
bknox is offline   Reply With Quote