Hello from Iowa - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
BBQ NOOB

Hello from Iowa

I grew up around my dad's smoke house and loved helping him out at all the different events when I was younger.

It was so much fun and I was excited when he diced to re-enter the competion world. But he's having a hard time adjusting to all the new changes. I was wounding if anyone could help me help my dad readjust to this new smoke world. Also expand my knowledge and insight into the smoking would.

Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #2

Welcome to The Forum Happy!

• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Max
Wizard of Que

Glad to help, what would you like to know.
Weber One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Jumbo Joe 18"
Weber Smokey Joe Gold 14"
Fully Functional UDS 22.5" Dual Layer
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #4
BBQ NOOB

Hello!
Well I am not sure where to start off but I mostly have some questions about the new smokers that have come about in the recent years.
My dad was telling me about how a lot of the new smokers are computerized and I think he also mentioned some have water tanks on them now.

Now my dad is old fashion and dosent think any of this is fair and it shouldnt involve computer or fancy gadgets. So I see why he is frustrated, becasue he used to place well in events a lot of the times in the top 3.

Is there any way a home built smoker can compete against all these new machines? It's really discouraging to him that he can't seem to compete against them.

Plus what would be some good sites to look out so I can help him learn more about the new smokers?
Any help, tips, trick would be appreciated thank you so much!!
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Max
Wizard of Que

Well the coming of the computer age it seems that computers are everywhere now. I would not be too discouraged, alot of people still do not use them because they are expensive, and alot of people can not afford them. Myself I do not use them, and I have a homemade UDS. And yes a home made smoker can give the big and shinny new smokers with the BBQ Guru's a run for their money. Just keep monitoring your thermometers, and probes and you should be fine. Really the computers and such dont really bring that much to the table in my eyes anyway. Some may differ.....
Weber One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Jumbo Joe 18"
Weber Smokey Joe Gold 14"
Fully Functional UDS 22.5" Dual Layer
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Official BBQ Central Mark

Well tell Pappy to relax. Good tasting bbq has not changed. Now there is some pits and gadgets which can cut down on the manuel labor and lack of sleep associated with the hobby. Cant guarantee the taste buds and preferences of the judges. Those elusive commodities can take certain trends which it dont hurt to stay abreast of. It really pisses me off to see the wannabe injuneers ruin every hobby available. It aint science..its art..lol. Sure Paw Paw will do well. Tell him to hang onto the wallet firmly. Its about as expensive as Scuba Diving..parachuting out of airplanes..golfing etc. If he wants to supplement the SS tell him to start a little outlaw catering bizness. Those do well and bring in money instead of forcing it to out go. Tell him to put his house in your name just in case some body gets sick on his chicken and the lawyers show up. Welcome over here.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
BBQ NOOB

Welcome to the site Happy... Now lets get cooking.
leby0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #8

I agree with Bigwheel. Some of the very best food comes from old school smokers. I like old things, being one myself. But I gotta admit some of the new gadgets are fun to play with.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote