Grilling and smoking in Southern Maine - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Baby Back

Grilling and smoking in Southern Maine

Good afternoon, all!

I am a Virginia native who spent four years in Louisiana, then moved to Maine. I've been here just over four years now, and this summer is the first time I've really gotten to grill at home. As an apartment-dweller, getting a good place to set up just hasn't happened. I am finally somewhere that has a large enough parking area to bust out a tiny grill and a chair.

When I say tiny, I mean tiny... I'm cooking on a Kingsford kettle that might be 18"-24" tall... This is small, wheel-less, and a little sad... and it was free.

Right now, I am using Kingsford charcoal (original), and (I know, I know) lighter fluid. I've read already how to build a chimney, and as soon as I get a good enough sized can, I'll use it. What I really want to move towards is smoking. I've always enjoyed well-smoked meat better than almost anything. I recognize that my current grill probably isn't conducive to smoking meats, so I'm just getting better at grilling for now.

I have plans to upgrade my rig over time, but our financial priorities aren't on my cooking out right now, and in Maine, you have to be more than a little crazy to grill outdoors for at least half the year. (I'd like to eventually be using a barrel that could feed up to 10-12 folks, but for now space, money, and a household of two make it impractical.)

I'm still learning my way around the forums, but have experience with the power of "search". For now I'm just trying to soak up everything I can, and finding ways to work with what I have. Even "the basics" may be new ideas for me, and I welcome your pointing me to existing threads that will help further my education quickly. I have made fast progress over my few cookouts this summer (lots of reading here in between), but there's a lot of room to grow.

I've been using Stubbs Texas marinades and sauces so far, and they've worked well.

My first time out I didn't even get all of my coals going properly, and ended up half-smoking, half-grilling my chicken. It was well-cooked, but I could definitely taste the chemicals from the fluid and basic charcoal, so I'm holding off on smoking until I can try it without poisoning my food. It's gotten better since then.

Anyway, I welcome your advice (beyond "go buy x tomorrow") and look forward to continuing to grow in the community.

Best,

whmaine

Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #2

Re: Grilling and smoking in Southern Maine

Grillin' is grillin', small or not and the best part you said was FREE! Welcome to the forum.

• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Official BBQ Central Mark

Hearty welcome Sir. Know the free grill will work out just fine. Keeps us posted. Thanks.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Saint O'Que

Welcome.
Free is always the best price, and ya gotta start somewhere.

If you don't have a problem with it, send me a PM (Private Message) with your address and I'll send you a very slightly used Weber chimney at the same price you paid for your grill.
I don't use it any more...my smokers are more easily lit with a small propane plumbers torch, so that's the way I go, and the Weber chimney is just taking up space.

Have fun with your new obsession.

BOB
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Baby Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Fla.
Welcome.
Free is always the best price, and ya gotta start somewhere.

If you don't have a problem with it, send me a PM (Private Message) with your address and I'll send you a very slightly used Weber chimney at the same price you paid for your grill.
I don't use it any more...my smokers are more easily lit with a small propane plumbers torch, so that's the way I go, and the Weber chimney is just taking up space.

Have fun with your new obsession.

BOB
Glad to, once I have enough posts to be allowed to use a PM. Thanks for your generosity!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Pork Butt

As soon as you get rid of the stinky lighter fluid, take a look at this thread and the link there for a few tips on smoking in a grill. The hardest part with a flimsy grill is keeping the temp low. You have to close the vents down a bunch to limit the air flow to keep the temp below about 275Ί.

•18" WSM
•22" OTS
NewHeart is offline   Reply With Quote