Griller from CT - Page 3 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #21
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Fla. View Post
Lots of people might be surprised to learn how many vegetables contain MSG naturally. In fact, if you don't ingest enough, your body actually does manufacture it in small amounts.
It's a natural substance.
No kiddin? Seriously, I didn't know that. I do know that it helps win comps, and that's something you will never see in a cookbook.

boozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #22
Official BBQ Central Mark

Very serious. Thats where it comes from I think. Old Joe Ames expounded on the topic endlessly. Human tongues have special taste receptors for the stuff. The Japanese call it "unami" maybe? Joe always said..."If you ever taste something that tastes real good and you can't figure out what it is..its MSG." He was also a big advocate of some plant base flavor enhancers called diosodium guatamate and disodium inosinate. Which think he said comes mostly from beets.. It is in most near all cannned broth. Yeast is also a good flavor enhancer not normally used by home cooks but is in near all savory commercial products.

Disodium Guanylate vs. Monosodium Glutamate | LIVESTRONG.COM

bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
Home Griller

Naturally occuring glutimates in our bodies and in certain foods like tomatoes and mushrooms are different than the processed MSG made from fermented sugar beets (Monsanto). Some people are alergic to it, reporting migraine headaches, nausea and a host of other ill effects. My mom would get very sick if she ate certain Chinese foods.

I like to control what goes into my food when I cook. I've never had any reaction to MSG but I still avoid it whenever possible.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #24

Well thanks for sharing that. Old pal some of us used to cook with had a trick of covering the lean side of brisket with thin sliced tomater slices right prior to wrapping. Supposed to have put the unami into the meat. Let us try that sometime. MSG obviously aint healthy.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #25
Saint O'Que

EVERY time you eat any green leafy vegetables you get a good serving of MSG. Yes, it's true. Look it up. I guess they aint healthy either?
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #26

Think veggies is ok..just stay away from processed MSG (Accent) and also High Fructose Corn Syrup. They are both very unhealthy. Listen to this guy sometime.
Your Health With Dr. Richard and Cindy Becker - TV Show, Episode Guide & Schedule