Greetings from the Ontario - Page 2 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
BBQ NOOB

The wind can be pretty strong where I am as well. I'll probably end up trying. I think it will be hard for me to hold off until spring. ha ha

Thanks for the info.

rokit6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
BBQ Central Pro

All I do is just turn my smoker so that the intake vent is downwind, and set up a wind block.

boozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
BBQ NOOB

I was thinking about it and went outside to look around. I think I may just have the perfect spot for it. My smoker is kind of high maintenance so I'll have to dress warm to baby sit it. It will be fun, cold but fun. I think I'll go with ribs, they don't take as long. I've read that pork ribs should be about 195 to 200 degree (F). Does that sound about right? What about a rub, should I go with just a dry rub or brine or what? What do you think would be best? I've made them before and they turned out pretty good but I didn't really know what I was doing, lol. Also should I put a liquid in with them? ( the smoker has a separate bowl for that ). I like spicy.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
BBQ Central Pro

Whoa, slow down dude. That's a lot of questions. Let's try to sort this out. First of all, yes the ribs should finish out at about 195. Most people don't believe in that, and stress that temp is too hard to gauge with ribs. There is some truth to this. This is the internal temp for finished ribs. Pit temp should be 275. I personally don't marinate or brine ribs either. Just a rub sealed in with mustard. You will get several different ideas and opinions on how to do ribs here. Ultimately you will use the advice to figure out your own method.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
BBQ NOOB

Sorry for the 40 question assault, lol I just get excited and want to know everything. lol

Thanks boozer.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
Official BBQ Central Mark

If your speaking of internal temps for ribs..dont recall ever knowin anybody who checked it. I consider them done when I can reach in and rip two adjacent bones loose in the middle of the rack. When a person can do that...then foil and let them swelter in the hot box for at least an hour..preferably two hours. Pit temp for ribs should be about 260..or thereabouts. Cooking them low and slow will dry them out too bad on most pits. Fancy commercial pits can cook much slower but not normally practical for us back yard types. I like Headcountry Purpose Rub for ribs. Normally a mail order item for me..Head Country | Head Country or close. Have tried various ho made rib rubs without being overly wowed. Harley's Sweet Rub is very good on ribs too. Know a bunch of folks who use that..but can be sorta hard to find...or used to be anyway.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
BBQ Central Pro

Oh, and if your smoker has a water pan, then yes , you should definitely use it.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
BBQ NOOB

Hey Boozer,

What is the water pan used for besides, holding water? Wouldn't it end up streaming the meat rather then smoking it? It just seems kind of strange to me.
My smoker is a vertical cylinder with a bowl for wood on the bottom, a bowl for liquid above that and the grill for the meat above that. Sorry to bombard you with questions lol but I'm just trying to understand this better.

Thanks,
John
Old 11-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #19
Official BBQ Central Mark

No it dont steam it..but does add some moisture to the equation..which is pretty near necessary for proper cooking...and most especially with small amounts of meat. Have heard it said the water acts as a heat sink. Which guess it means it gives some thermal mass..takes up heat slowly and relases it back slowly..sorta like a big brick pit maybe. Sure wished our old pal Jim Ace Prather the Astrophysical Injuneer was still around. He could explain all this stuff using arithmetic. In the meantime..no need to try and reinvent the wheel. Start cooking some stuff and see how it turns out. If it aint fittin..tweak a thing or two and try it again. Its trial and error..the hallmark of the scientific method.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #20
BBQ Central Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
No it dont steam it..but does add some moisture to the equation..which is pretty near necessary for proper cooking...and most especially with small amounts of meat. Have heard it said the water acts as a heat sink. Which guess it means it gives some thermal mass..takes up heat slowly and relases it back slowly..sorta like a big brick pit maybe. Sure wished our old pal Jim Ace Prather the Astrophysical Injuneer was still around. He could explain all this stuff using arithmetic. In the meantime..no need to try and reinvent the wheel. Start cooking some stuff and see how it turns out. If it aint fittin..tweak a thing or two and try it again. Its trial and error..the hallmark of the scientific method.
BW and I don't always agree on everything, but... Yep, this^