bbq newbie - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
BBQ NOOB

bbq newbie

hello my name is miguel, i live south jersey. i own a townhouse so i can't use gas or charcoal grills so i bought a brinkmann electric grill, it has been good to me so far. i wonder is the anyone who owns a electric grill that can give me some tips. i do miss my charcoal grills. i do love to grill as much as i can. i know it is not the same but i do what i can.

electricmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

Can't help you with that. Maybe Bigwheel will chime in. He likes electric things.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

Welcome, I'll bet Nick is right if BW has not electrocuted himself he will chime in
• KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark

Hey Miguel..tune out the haters..lol. Welcome. I can only compare the Brinkmann Electrified gizmo to Grandpa George Wheeler Pattons assesment of the M 1 Garand. Finest bbq/battle instrument ever devised. You got a big wash tub to dunk down over the top? That will work to keep up the heat in falling weather..tornadoes etc. A hurricane/blizzard condition requires a 55 gallon barrel to supplant the tub. That is also the perfect place to keep it when not in use. You are so fortunate. Now if a person wants to get super fancy..snag what is commonly referred to as Carpenters Router Speed Controller. That will allow you to control the heat. Now dont try this without checking back in cuz they are built by poorly maintained Christian slave laborers in Red China. They aint built right. Fry themselves because they cant vent any heat. Real similar to a pit without a stack or a bowling bowl which has not had the finger holes drilled out yet etc. You and I should get along well. I normally do not make friends easy.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
TAC
Mobile Pitmaster

Location: In the yard with my grill, back in the boonies of Arkansas
Nothing wrong with using an electric if that's all you can use, I myself have always been skeptical of them and tend to be a charcoal/wood purest, unless I'm grilling for an event then it's gas & go. At events gas is great cause you can just swap tanks and relight and you get great flare ups, I think my max is like 4-5 feet off the grill... had the fire department come over and tell me to tone it down, LOL. Oh the smoke trick I use with gas may work with your electric grill, I take dry wood chips and put them in an envelope of aluminum then close that up and stab it a few good times with a knife, the heat makes them smoke, my wood chip of choice is hickory, but that's because I can make my own from the hickory trees we have around the house. If I sound like I'm bragging in any of my post, I don't mean to, I just like telling of my experiences to try to help out.

I think you might be able to make an electric grill out of something like a water heater element but I'm not sure, and I've not got the nerve to try it, not to mention things like water heater elements are somewhat expensive for them to just die on the first try...

Equipment:
Kingsford 24" Charcoal Grill
Gas grill (any), grilling meats for sale at events
Thinking about building an old style smokehouse and a drum grill/smoker.
Tool set, just like with any other thing you need the proper tool set for it. :D
TAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Saint O'Que

Welcome to the forum.

Be really careful of the fumes you get from the 'lectricity until you've figgered out how to dilute it with smoke from chips like TAC has explained. I think that bigwheel feller has inhaled just too many raw 'lectricity fumes. They kinda make the food taste like copper, too. Dilute them 'lectric fumes with real wood smoke!

BOB
Stump's Smoker "Monster" (01/08/2013)
Weber Smokey Joe (Homer Simpson Edition Mini BGE
Bob In Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
BBQ NOOB

bbq noob

thanks for the response guys, i guess im not alone lol. the grill has been great i know it has its limitation. i do watch bbq shows and progams like pittmasters and bbq university and it gave me a lot ideas and i try to use the same concept. i have competed in a backyard bbq contest in the last three years with brinkmann electric grill and did justice for me. the first year came in first in chicken, the second year came in fourth and third year came in second in ribs. i'm willing to learn some different technics so please keep me posted guys. and bigwheel i think i made a friend for life, can't worried about the haters, its all about bbqing. lol
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark

The only thing I have bumped into which the little beast could not cook well is ribs. I was taught to lay em out flat and there just aint enough room to do that. Maybe figger out a way to make them dangle one day.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
BBQ NOOB

thanks bigwheel for the tip. what do you think about the brinkmann electric smoker? I'M thinking about buying one.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
The only thing I have bumped into which the little beast could not cook well is ribs. I was taught to lay em out flat and there just aint enough room to do that. Maybe figger out a way to make them dangle one day.
Roll them up.