Woodman Cooking for 400+ - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Catering Corner
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Web Celeb
 
Greg Rempe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 8,177
Woodman Cooking for 400+

I was tooling down Route 2 East bound yesterday morning...glance off to the right as I saw some minor construction of what looked to be a big rental tent...and what do I see...I rather large bbq trailer nicely set up and looking ready to make some BBQ. And considering I know everyone within a 50 mile radius that has something like that too cook on I figure its gotta be Woodman.

So, I find my way to the company that was facing the highway and sure enough...he had just finished setting up, was making his list of meat to buy, and was settling in for a cook that will serve today!

Boy I tell ya, that Woodman is a funny guy...but really knows his stuff when it comes to the bbq catering...what's funnier is that after he really talks about it for a few minutes, you get this weird feeling that he hates it!

Nevertheless, a number of workers from the business stopped out to heap praise on how "cool" his pit is...and of course MARKED OUT to me and the BBQ Central Show, so we blew them off...we are WAY to cool for those kind of people!

I hope everything went well for him last night...I know it rained pretty hard on and off most of the day but it did clear up overnight...albeit a little chilly.

I would drive out there to get an update and steal a piece of brisket but I don't really like Woodman all that much to see him 2 days in a row and I am also going in the opposite direction for work today...but I'm sure he'll be on here later to give us the full run down!

Just thought I'd share my experience about running in to a local BBQ Celeb in C-Town!
__________________

__________________
Host of The BBQ Central Radio Show
www.thebbqcentralshow.com
Greg Rempe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Moderator
 
wittdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: West Seneca NY
Posts: 9,860
WoW sounds like woodman cooks as much as you do...
__________________

__________________
Save the gas for the criminals Q with wood...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
BBQ Centralite
 
Kloset BBQR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hudson, OH
Posts: 3,150
Way to go Dave! I'd love to hear the story from him on this one. Post plenty of Pics.

Greg, have you cooked on the Klose yet?!
__________________
Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

KCBS member & Certified BBQ Judge

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

http://www.impeach-barack-obama.com/

http://theglennbeck912project.com/
Kloset BBQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Cliff H.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 6,143
Since there are no pics from you are him I am starting to wonder if he even really owns a pit.
__________________
" Never let a day go by "
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Puff's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Warren, Mi.
Posts: 12,331
I thought he gave up catering and went into the sheep raising biz.
__________________
Pitboss/ Sous Chef/ Manager at Holiday Market Smokehouse
Royal Oak Mi.
Puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
BBQ Centralite
 
Kloset BBQR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hudson, OH
Posts: 3,150
Yeah I heard that too, I think his business is now called Nuttin But Mutton!

Sorry that's the best I could do without sending this thread to that other room!
__________________
Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

KCBS member & Certified BBQ Judge

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

http://www.impeach-barack-obama.com/

http://theglennbeck912project.com/
Kloset BBQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Web Celeb
 
Greg Rempe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 8,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloset BBQR
Way to go Dave! I'd love to hear the story from him on this one. Post plenty of Pics.

Greg, have you cooked on the Klose yet?!
3...with number 4 starting tomorrow night!
__________________
Host of The BBQ Central Radio Show
www.thebbqcentralshow.com
Greg Rempe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Puff's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Warren, Mi.
Posts: 12,331
[quote=Greg Rempe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kloset BBQR":btf53r3j
Way to go Dave! I'd love to hear the story from him on this one. Post plenty of Pics.

Greg, have you cooked on the Klose yet?!
3...with number 4 starting tomorrow night! [/quote:btf53r3j]
Greg you know the drill. Do I really have to type it?
Come on dude at least a video clip or something.
__________________
Pitboss/ Sous Chef/ Manager at Holiday Market Smokehouse
Royal Oak Mi.
Puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
BBQ Centralite
 
Woodman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mentor, Oh
Posts: 4,457
Who told "Puff" about the Catering Forum????? Greg, 36 hours on 2.5 hours of sleep? YOU try it and be enthusiastic!!!!! Did a wedding for 150 last Saturday, this gig for 400, and a neighborhood picnic this Saturday (I'm setting up this afternoon) and a company picnic next Saturday. Two more in August as well. Except for the "400" job ( I had a buddy help me,), I do it ALONE!!!! Anybody who has done it, understands!!!!!!!! Greg, we were really broken up when you didn't return, believe me!! At 7:00 , I hadda go to Sam's and get some foil pans? It was raining so hard I hadda sit in the truck for 10 minutes before I could get out to go in. Rained until about 9:00 pm.It did clear up and was beautiful for the rest of the night and right through the 11:00 am to 2:00 pm serving time.We had 160 lbs of butts and 160 lbs of brisket flats rubbed and on by 6:00 pm. I stack the briskets fat side to fat side so that the exposed meat gets the smoke (ring). It is the only way I can get that much meat on my rig. The upright actually has the hot spot in it. Stuff in there cooks the quickest, but gets the best bark on it!!! (read: burnt). That stuff gets a thick layer of tough bark, whick softens up in foil to be PERFECT!!) I've done this cook for four straight years, and this years, they said it was the best yet!! When Greg showed up, it was the only stain on an otherwise wonderful event!
__________________
"I was born to cook for people"
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Web Celeb
 
Greg Rempe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 8,177
That cut me deep!
__________________
Host of The BBQ Central Radio Show
www.thebbqcentralshow.com
Greg Rempe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
No pics....no cook! He even has Greg convinced to do his dirty work!
__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #12
BBQ Centralite
 
Woodman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mentor, Oh
Posts: 4,457
Yeah, I'll try and sell that theory to the IRS Nick!
__________________
"I was born to cook for people"
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #13
BBQ Centralite
 
Kloset BBQR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hudson, OH
Posts: 3,150
Try no 1099 no cook instead with the IRS.
__________________
Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

KCBS member & Certified BBQ Judge

The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.

Sic semper tyrannis!

http://www.impeach-barack-obama.com/

http://theglennbeck912project.com/
Kloset BBQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #14
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bruce B's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Utica, MI
Posts: 6,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
Who told "Puff" about the Catering Forum????? Greg, 36 hours on 2.5 hours of sleep? YOU try it and be enthusiastic!!!!! Did a wedding for 150 last Saturday, this gig for 400, and a neighborhood picnic this Saturday (I'm setting up this afternoon) and a company picnic next Saturday. Two more in August as well. Except for the "400" job ( I had a buddy help me,), I do it ALONE!!!! Anybody who has done it, understands!!!!!!!! Greg, we were really broken up when you didn't return, believe me!! At 7:00 , I hadda go to Sam's and get some foil pans? It was raining so hard I hadda sit in the truck for 10 minutes before I could get out to go in. Rained until about 9:00 pm.It did clear up and was beautiful for the rest of the night and right through the 11:00 am to 2:00 pm serving time.We had 160 lbs of butts and 160 lbs of brisket flats rubbed and on by 6:00 pm. I stack the briskets fat side to fat side so that the exposed meat gets the smoke (ring). It is the only way I can get that much meat on my rig. The upright actually has the hot spot in it. Stuff in there cooks the quickest, but gets the best bark on it!!! (read: burnt). That stuff gets a thick layer of tough bark, whick softens up in foil to be PERFECT!!) I've done this cook for four straight years, and this years, they said it was the best yet!! When Greg showed up, it was the only stain on an otherwise wonderful event!
Somehow a sentence that contains the words "Greg" and "stain" makes me cringe.
__________________
Bruce
Treasurer, Great Lakes BBQAssociation
www.glbbqa.com
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
Yeah, I'll try and sell that theory to the IRS Nick!
Just show them the pictures of all your cooks!
__________________

__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×