What would you charge for just cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im with Witt on this one..if the ribs are crappy, it'll be a reflection on you. Maby you could buy them and have them just pay for them...And charge for cooking them seperate...

what does a rack of ribs go for at , lets say a restaurant in that area ?

Using $ 20 a rack, as a benchmark , here's what I come up with

Rack of ribs, at $ 2.00 a pound, spares, averaging 4 pounds a rack, would cost them $8.00

That leaves $12 left over from the $20 starting point.. you can easily charge them $3 a pound for you to do them, using the benchmark... to me, it's better then saying " I'll charge you $12 a rack to smoke them....

If you emphasise the quality of " Freshly done" ribs, over the racks they will buy at a restaurant, it should be an easy sale....

So, if they want 10 racks of ribs, it's roughly $120..... time to get there, and set up , an hour's worth of time, lets say, probably 7 hours to get fire going, and ribs done, another hours worth of time to clean up, get home...
you're looking at 9 hours, there in and abouts... Fuel, foil, etc lets just use $15 to get some kind of number... $10 a bag of lump and some sundry items

so $120 - $15 = $105

$105 / 9hours = $11.66 an hour

Looking at from their side, 10 racks of ribs, lets say they're feeding 20 people, $120 / 10 people= $12 a person...

so, if it's worth $11.66 an hour ....

What ever you do, do not undersell yourself... It 's nearly impossible to get back to your regular prices , after you've underbid a job, just to get jobs, from " future prospects"

to me, this is on the cheap side.... I would charge $200 to do this, 10 racks... but there are regional price difference between different geographical areas

I personally would not do it. I get a few calls a year like this. I feel it's a slap in the face or a kick in the ass, witch ever you prefer. After all it's YOUR name on the line. I feel it would be like walking into a Cafe and asking for a cup of boiling water and then pulling out a tea bag, or a package of "cup of soup" make sure you ask for a spoon too! Geeessshh, what's wrong with people? You don't drive into a oil change place and hand them a box of oil and a filter and say "how much to do my oil change with my parts, oil and filter!" [smilie=madflame.gif]

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I personally would not do it. I get a few calls a year like this. I feel it's a slap in the face or a kick in the ass, witch ever you prefer. After all it's YOUR name on the line. I feel it would be like walking into a Cafe and asking for a cup of boiling water and then pulling out a tea bag, or a package of "cup of soup" make sure you ask for a spoon too! Geeessshh, what's wrong with people? You don't drive into a oil change place and hand them a box of oil and a filter and say "how much to do my oil change with my parts, oil and filter!" [smilie=madflame.gif]

At 3 1/2 gallons of oil per oil change on my diesel... I might do this. [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif] [smilie=lol_xtreme.gif]

I like bobs answer...hell even if they are friends!!!! friends pay too & a franklin is minumin for me to hook-up to my new brinkman smoker/cooker

If you like cooking, and also like the feel of two crisp $100 bills in your wallet for doing something you like, then I would do it. Anything less, and you might as well charge nothing in my opinion.
go for it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom