What if....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

los

Assistant Cook
Hey guys, what are you charging or do you even take catering jobs that want to purchase the meats themselves and have you smoke them?

Thanks!

los said:
Hey guys, what are you charging or do you even take catering jobs that want to purchase the meats themselves and have you smoke them?

Thanks!

I would stay away from that. I like knowing where my meat comes from and how fresh it is. Now if they insist, send them to SAMS and buy it and give it to you.

Bills right...they may come up with some crappy meat and blame you
for the taste!

But if you do it, just add up your costs for the fuels and any spices/sauces,
etc, and then figure out what your time is worth to you.

NO WAY! You're asking for trouble and a bad reputation if you let the customer buy the meat themselves.

I tried that angle one time. I got all kinds of different stuff. My cooker likes a 14-16 pound turkey. A guy brought me a 24 pounder one time. I especially like to pick out my own briskets.

I do "custom smoking". When I want to make some extra bucks I have a pretty good list of "clients" that I call. When I've taken all of the orders I want to fill, I stop calling. Ribs $20/rack glazed spares. Packer Briskets $45 sliced. Pulled pork $8/lb. seasoned. An extra $2.00 for a 14oz. squeeze bottle of sauce.

When I have a day off, I'll run a case of butts and 4 or 5 briskets through the night and run the spares early the next morning, finishing everything off Saturday aftrernoon. No delivery. I get all the work I want.

Jack

I've made my share of mistakes over the years and as of late (my advanced age), I tend to learn from others' mistakes. I've read often not to let someone else supply the meat that you cook for the obvious reasons stated in this thread. Last week, my SIL asked me to cook 4 butts and some BBQ beans for her son's HS graduation party in July. I agreed. She wanted to buy the meat and asked what she shoud get. LOL! "I'll take care of it" I said without further explanation. :!: Good advice, there is here.

That's kind of like walking into a place with a tea bag and asking for a cup of hot water. Bad news indeed. I did a hog one time and it was fed old doughnuts from a bakery, Guess who got the blame on that cook. NEVER AGAIN.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
That's kind of like walking into a place with a tea bag and asking for a cup of hot water. Bad news indeed. I did a hog one time and it was fed old doughnuts from a bakery, Guess who got the blame on that cook. NEVER AGAIN.

Funny you mentioned that Chris. A friend of mine raised a hog and somehow got a hold of a full truck load of peanuts to feed the pig. That was the staple of this pigs diet. Believe it or not the meat had a hint of peanut butter flavor! :eek:

I'll be smoking a few butts and a few briskets next weekend for my nephew's 1st birthday. I told my sister to get the meat at Costco (which is where I usually get it) and told her the approximate weight to look for. Anything wrong with that??

Man's Best Friend BBQ said:
I'll be smoking a few butts and a few briskets next weekend for my nephew's 1st birthday. I told my sister to get the meat at Costco (which is where I usually get it) and told her the approximate weight to look for. Anything wrong with that??

I would not think so since it is your sister.

chris1237 said:
Man's Best Friend BBQ said:

I would not think so since it is your sister.

Yeah, either I get it, pay for it and have her pay me back, or she get's it, pays for it and brings it to me. I'll take option 2

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":2bzshm6q]That's kind of like walking into a place with a tea bag and asking for a cup of hot water. Bad news indeed. I did a hog one time and it was fed old doughnuts from a bakery, Guess who got the blame on that cook. NEVER AGAIN.

Funny you mentioned that Chris. A friend of mine raised a hog and somehow got a hold of a full truck load of peanuts to feed the pig. That was the staple of this pigs diet. Believe it or not the meat had a hint of peanut butter flavor! :eek:[/quote:2bzshm6q]
It's true. Also, Pigs are a social animal, They need company. That's why you never raise one at a time.

There is no way I would ever try to raise anything with the intent to eat it. Whether it be a pig, duck, chicken or whatever, it would likely wind up sleeping right next to my two house dogs with no fear of ever being eaten. :)

it used to be easy to know the cattle that were headed to slaughter growing up. with less than 100 head, my grandad named them all....the ones headed for slaughter were all named "hamburger".

cflatt said:
it used to be easy to know the cattle that were headed to slaughter growing up. with less than 100 head, my grandad named them all....the ones headed for slaughter were all named "hamburger".
:lmao: My kids named the little pig we did last year. We didn't raise it but I was worried that they wouldn't eat it after they named it but....no problems.

Back
Top Bottom