Weather Yesterday! - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > Catering Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
BBQ Centralite

Weather Yesterday!

I was cooking for a grad party yesterday. It was for 100 people and she wanted salmon, brisket , and ribs. There was a front predicted to roll through "between 2 and 4 pm, so I was hustling all day to get things done early. Originally, the forcast was for "strong storms with high winds and large hail possible-80% chance of rain." I asked the client, who is only 2 miles from my house, if I could cook it at home and deliver, but she really wanted the pit and the spectacle on site. I could not blame her, so I set up Friday, and did not sleep much all night thinking I would be battling all day! I got up at 3:30 am, and the weather was OK. No Rain! That at least allowed me to get everything prepped, on the pit, etc. The forcast was improved to 60% rain chance. I spent half of the day trying to convince the client to serve in the house because of the storm prediction. Finally she relented! It did not rain all day..........until 4:00 pm!!!! Worst 90 minutes of weather I have seen yet! Luckily, I had everything ready and in a holding pattern. It POURED!!!! Heavy thunder, wind, and lightening. The EZ-UPS held up pretty good, but I weight them down. The client was FREAKING, because she was in denial all day and did not have an alternative plan. In the end, she served all food inside. THe sun came out and it was a success. But for 90 minutes, ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Web Celeb

I hear ya Dave...I did 6 racks of ribs yesterday and was SOOOO looking forward to trying them on the new Klose...I had my new splitting maul that Bubba told me to get and was ready to see how much space that Klose had...HOWEVER, I heard the same forecast as you did and decided to do the ribs on dueling WSM's in the garage...everything on at 1pm...and right up until 4pm I was pissed that I didn't use the Klose.

Of course, as soon as 4pm and the Monsoon rolled in, I was VERY happy I decided to go the WSM/garage route!! I would have been out in the rain in the worst part of it trying to foil the ribs and then getting them off to bring in...right when the rain was the worst...In the end, the ribs were great and I stayed dry...I'll give the Klose a shot next weekend!

Old 06-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #3

Great pre plan Woody!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Graduate of BBQ Central

Quit whining you big puss!

GIANT BBQ

Zilla's Gator Pit
zilla is offline   Reply With Quote